Game for a Mystery — Devotional: All Your Heart

March 26th, 2010

After you’ve heard “Game for a Mystery,” check out this devotional thought. (If you haven’t heard the episode, check out the Media Player. You can also find a station in your area.)

By Catherine Wilson

Ah, what a beautiful day outside! The sun is shining. The birds are singing. I think I’ll go take a bike ride right now.

Oh, wait, I said that I would write a devotional thought first. Oh, but that sun feels so nice through the window…

Sorry, everybody. Back to Adventures in Odyssey. In today’s episode, Barrett didn’t do the chores his father gave him and, instead, he played his video game. I would never do something like that…oh wait! I think I almost did that just now, when I wanted to go outside. It’s easy to put off the tasks that we’re assigned. Chores can seem so unimportant. But what if we looked at chores and tasks a different way?

The apostle Paul tells us that, “whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men” (Colossians 3:23). If we look at all our work as God’s work, maybe we would all change how we go about our tasks and chores. If Barrett had thought of trimming the hedge as something he was doing for God, he probably would have started his chores a lot sooner! God wants us to honor our parents. So doing the chores that our parents assign us is working for God.

You know, I actually did enjoy writing this devotional thought, and I still have time to go for a bike ride. But do you know what’s even better? By writing this devotion I honored God, and, by going on a bike ride I can honor God again, by appreciating his creation. I think it’s pretty great how you can honor God in “whatever you do.”

By doing our everyday tasks to the best of our ability we are working for God. Can you think of some of the jobs that you do everyday? How do you do your best at those tasks? You can tell us about it right here!

77 Comments on “Game for a Mystery — Devotional: All Your Heart”

• Vickie on March 27th, 2010 - 6:39am

You could really honor God through your school work by writing your reports about things that please him. Thanks AIO

• zack on March 27th, 2010 - 7:03am

Why is the “game for a mystery” not working?

• Lonya on March 27th, 2010 - 12:21pm

I can’t get it to play :-(

• tem on March 27th, 2010 - 1:14pm

It doesn’t let me lessen to “Game for a Mystery”.

• jessica on March 27th, 2010 - 1:35pm

Thank you for the Devotional. I really like reading theses because I can relate to them. I clean the Cat Litter… Not Fun but now that i’ve read this I can maybe not have fun doing it but that is what God wants me to do that is what I will do it for him.

• abigail on March 27th, 2010 - 1:37pm

that is so cool that you are doing Devotionals now keep up the great work and God bless!!

• J.R.C on March 27th, 2010 - 1:50pm

I just wanted to tell you (the AIO team) that I cannot listen to the Game for a Mystery. It’s just the one from yesterday. :( So can you please fix it?

• Grant on March 28th, 2010 - 8:33am

man its not working, :( i hope they fix it soon. i’ve noticed that often the episodes don’t show up and it goens to the last episode, please work on this odyssey team! thx, btw can every one who comments tell me the character they wish would come back? myne is either rodney or jack

• Odyssey#1Fan on March 28th, 2010 - 1:15pm

Moderator,

Sorry, but do you know when they will judge/announce the winners? Thanks!

• Connie fan on March 28th, 2010 - 7:50pm

I like the devotional. I liked it a lot! I love the new episodes so far!

• i love aio on March 29th, 2010 - 7:30am

I love AIO

• Anonymous on March 29th, 2010 - 12:38pm

YOU CAN visit a friend
    clean walmart
    talk to friends
    help people

• jazmyne on March 29th, 2010 - 1:17pm

some things that i do every day is wash the dishes and clean my room i also play the piano and i try to do my best at those things.

• jazmyne on March 29th, 2010 - 1:18pm

the piano playing is a gift that god gave me and im going to use it [i play with all my heart]

• LisA on March 29th, 2010 - 3:21pm

After waiting 3 days to hear this episode (it wasnt working), I can say that I actually enjoyed this one. I still would like to see other characters and families be apart of this series. Also I hope they bring back the imagination station. I do not get the inspiration station–I know I didn’t feel inspired, but anyways good job. Are you going to have the characters going to church, Whitsend or school? Where is Katrina? Is Eugene no longer married to her? When will Connie get a boyfriend again?

• Anonymous on March 29th, 2010 - 4:51pm

I’m glad that the theme song finally aired but it was waay too short and Whit or nobody else introduced the show. This is not good!

• unknown on March 29th, 2010 - 4:53pm

I’m glad the new theme song finally aired but it was waay too short and noone introduced the show. I do not like this change!

• e.c.l on March 29th, 2010 - 6:20pm

I want you to maybe make some more character pic’s(odyssey vault).

• Asha on March 29th, 2010 - 10:16pm

This is the first story of the new episodes that I really enjoyed. I guess it’s because it is a mystery and all the characters in Game for a Mystery are basically new. I really don’t like the new Mr. Whit. I miss Paul Herlinger! Can’t wait to hear more shows from the 51st album! Bring Mitch back PLEASE!

• Amber on March 30th, 2010 - 4:48am

If you’re having trouble listening to “Game for a Mystery,” click on today’s episode, whatever that is. Then, if you scroll down, it should show a bunch of past episodes. Click on “Game for a Mystery.” It worked for me, so hopefully it will work for you.

• FUMIKO on March 30th, 2010 - 8:18am

Hey they fixed it! Now it comes up. Thanks.

• challie on March 30th, 2010 - 5:03pm

They are copying old AIO for the new ones!!

• Sharon on March 30th, 2010 - 11:44pm

God gave me alot a lot of musical ability.Jazyne I play piano to among other instrements. I also love to sing I want to make sure I always use these talents for The Lord since he is the one who gave them to me in the first place. My Dad is a pastor and often times I am left at home to babysit my five younger brothers and siters so they can go vist people and deal with things at church. And I have to rember that my babysiting foe the Lord is just as important as what they are doing for the Lord

• Sharon on March 30th, 2010 - 11:45pm

I really like that you guys started doing these Devotionals.

• Olivia :) on March 31st, 2010 - 10:25am

Question:
    Dear FOF, well, you know the oddysey adventure called, “The good, the bad, and the butch?” Well, would you mind please giving me a link to where to find the continuing of it? I’ve been trying to find it like mad! I noticed that sometimes you write back to people’s coments…. Could you write back and tell me where I can find it? Oh, and please give me a link to the episode where Eugene becomes a Christian. :) ;) :D
    Dear Olivia,
    You can find more about Sam and Butch in the episodes in “Darkness Before Dawn.” You can also hear more about them in “Easy Money.”

• EMOTION on March 31st, 2010 - 12:25pm

:0 yay! AIO rocks

• Olivia :) on March 31st, 2010 - 2:23pm

Question:
    Dear FOF, could you please tell me how I can listen to “Darkness before dawn”?
    Thanks. ~Olivia :) :P :D ;) :o

• Deshanna v. on April 1st, 2010 - 9:28am

Dear FOF,some episodes I want to listen to but I can’t because it’s not up there. Some people you answered will you please answer me.

• Deshanna v. on April 1st, 2010 - 9:35am

Dear FOF, will you please put all the chracters pics on the browse by chracter.

• Loryn on April 1st, 2010 - 11:30am

That was a great episode. We finally got to hear about some other kids in the episode :-) AIO IS SO AWESOME!

• Hannah on April 1st, 2010 - 1:08pm

Olivia, you probably have to buy the album Darkness before Dawn in order to hear it – or wait forever until they play it on the radio again. Another good idea is to borrow it from your library or from a friend:-)

• AIO fan on April 2nd, 2010 - 4:38pm

dear AIO can u plz tell me when we get to vote on the ACT LIKE ODYSSEY contest??
    that would be great if u could tell me!! I love listening to AIO!!

• Me on April 3rd, 2010 - 1:49pm

I LOVE GOD!!

• david on April 4th, 2010 - 6:37pm

I like AIO!

• Misskitty17 on April 5th, 2010 - 10:13am

I’m new here. What does AIO stand for?:)

• Misskitty17 on April 5th, 2010 - 10:15am

What’s the first Odyssey CD?

• matthew on April 5th, 2010 - 2:06pm

I think game for a mistory one of the is the best.

• matthew on April 5th, 2010 - 2:12pm

It teches me obte not to get so rapptup with earthlythings,and to put my tresers in heven.

• Connie fan on April 5th, 2010 - 4:50pm

Barret sounds like Corie (or Cory) Padnos(??) ;) Happy Easter Everyone!!! Got 51 for Easter love it!! :)

• Sharon on April 5th, 2010 - 6:29pm

Misskitty17 AIO stands for Adventures in Odyssey.

• JOHN on April 5th, 2010 - 7:45pm

GUYS, I`M PRETTY SURE YOU CAN EXPECT THE “TAKE IT FROM THE TOP” EPISODES TO NOT ALWAYS WORK AT FIRST. IT HAP-
    PENS A WHOLE LOT.

• rachel on April 6th, 2010 - 12:03pm

I like it.

• WES B. on April 6th, 2010 - 4:07pm

Lol, unfortunately when this episode aired the station of which airs Odyssey was having their sharathon in which non-commercial stations have a fundraisers so they can stay on the air. Anyway, good episode. (I’ve now listened to all the episodes for this album because I recently got it in the mail after a long wait. :D ) I must say I have a grudge against Emily Jones though. She’s a bit of a brat. In this episode she’s alright but she’s a little repulsive in, “When You’re Right, You’re Right”.

• WES B. on April 6th, 2010 - 4:11pm

Here’s my review for this episode (Part 1):

It was one of the more cute stories of Odyssey. You know, how the writers would have a little kid come in one day to sit on Mr. Whittaker’s lap and tell him a story to writing stories about organisations taking over the world by means of mind control. I think album 51 has gone back to it’s classic roots of more simplistic stories. Although this episode was good it’s not one of my favorites. Anyway, I’ll be writing a part two to my review shortly.

• WES B. on April 6th, 2010 - 4:15pm

Here’s my review for this episode (Part 2 continued from Part 1):

I mean you obviously can’t have Novacom level stories every week but this isn’t my favorite brand of Odyssey. It didn’t hold my attention that well. Also, about the Vermanoides game? :lol: What ever happened to classic good ol’ Zapazoids? Lol, I guess this is the next generation! Haha, anyway I don’t like Emily. She’s ditsy. Her voice I mean, same with Olivia, it just sounds like a twenty year old who’s voice is pitched up.

• WES B. on April 6th, 2010 - 4:20pm

Here’s my review for this episode (Part 3 continued from Part 2)

Hmm, my thoughts on Odyssey’s new bully? Pound ‘im Rodney! Haha! Jay’s pretty good. Jay and that other guy Vance remind me of the Rodney and Rusty days back in the 90s. But Rodney/Rusty are better than Vance/Jay. Anyway, this is the biggest turning point for Odyssey and I just think they can’t have the same characters forever! Think about it, 21 or so seasons of AIO! That’s a lot more than TV shows have to over!

• WES B. on April 6th, 2010 - 4:25pm

Here’s my review for this episode (Part 4 continued from Part 3)

I wish the writers faded out of the old characters and little slower than all the sudden making huge changes and then the fans having to adjust quickly. I just think that they should have made the changes gradual through 2009, the year no Odyssey’s were produced, instead of changing the show to extreme measures and planning new Odyssey all year long. Anyway, we still don’t have a good idea of what the future holds.

• mr. awesome on April 6th, 2010 - 7:31pm

Just wondering- in this episode, Nelson Swanson appears. Could this hint at a Kidsboro sequel?

• rose on April 7th, 2010 - 7:00am

I agree with you Rachel its so simple.

• Connie fan on April 7th, 2010 - 7:17pm

Dear Olvia how do you get that many smilly faces? ;) :) :(

• Connie fan on April 7th, 2010 - 7:17pm

Dear Wes B. how do you get those faces that move?

• Odyssey#1Fan on April 8th, 2010 - 12:19pm

Olivia, Eugene becomes a christian in the episode “The Time has Come”. If you want the Darkness Before Dawn Saga, you have to buy the CD set. Unfortunately, you can’t listen to episodes online except for the daily broadcast episodes. Sorry.

• Odyssey#1Fan on April 8th, 2010 - 12:21pm

Mr. Awesome, Yes, there are rumors that there will be more upcoming Kidsboro episodes. Wait for Album 52!!! October 2010!

• Odyssey#1Fan on April 8th, 2010 - 12:24pm

Wes B. Yeah, in my review of characters, Emily Jones might be my least favorite (even over barret…) She’s a little too snotty…

• Olivia :) on April 9th, 2010 - 7:58am

oh ok. Thanks Odyssey#1fan.

• Odysseyfan#1 on April 10th, 2010 - 10:12am

Yeah, it’s sad. I wish they had all the episodes here…

• Odysseyfan#1 on April 10th, 2010 - 10:14am

If you want to do the moving smiley face do this : l o l : (But don’t do spaces between each letter like i did. Put it all together without spaces and you get :lol:

• Anonymous on April 10th, 2010 - 12:56pm

:-D i love AIO

• Alexandria on April 11th, 2010 - 7:53pm

I’m going to be a detective when I get a fingerprint kit. :) ;) :o :0

• franklin on April 16th, 2010 - 10:59am

I love this show its one of my Favorites I love its great I love the part when Matthew Parker came to Emilys house keep up the good work.

• Anna on April 16th, 2010 - 7:17pm

AIO is the awesomest radio drama! Our family LOVES Focus on the Family, and I tell a lot of my friends about AIO. It’s really fun talking to my friends about the shows and quoting different parts. AIO rox! Thanks so much AIO staff! :)

• Anna on April 16th, 2010 - 7:30pm

Misskitty17, the first adventure is called The Adventure Begins. Here are some of the next albums:
    1. The Adventure Begins
    2. Stormy Weather
    3. Heroes
    4. FUN-damentals
    5. Daring Deeds, Sinister Schemes
    You said you’re new here. Did you just start finding out about AIO? Or are you new to WhitsEnd.org?

• dINA on April 17th, 2010 - 11:07am

I LOVE Odyssey

• aleah on April 17th, 2010 - 12:35pm

great! :P

• franklin on April 18th, 2010 - 11:10am

I love the part when the game gets broken its good.

• Little g on April 19th, 2010 - 5:32pm

I really like the story. Has anyone decided the winners for the “Act like Odyssey” contest? who liked what?

• marcos on April 20th, 2010 - 2:58pm

i think the kides in the elivater were the best,or the summer camp

• Jaguar J on April 21st, 2010 - 9:50am

I think something for everyone to remember, especially those that want the show to be the same as it was for 20+ years, is that this is sort of a fresh start for odyssey. Not a total restart, but how they would do it if they were starting now with all the knowledge they gained over the past years.

• Jaguar J on April 21st, 2010 - 9:56am

Personally I think Andre Stojka is doing a good job. See what a lot of us don’t realize is that when you start playing a character, you have to build a sort of premise or manner in which you play that character. At first this is somewhat “put on” it requires work. Once you’ve been doing it for awhile, however it requires less thinking and becomes more natural. I had to do a sort of settling in to the roles I’ve played. I guess I had the advantage of being the first one, but the idea is the same.

• Jaguar J on April 21st, 2010 - 9:58am

I think this goes for the other new actors as well, time refines things. So anyways, that’s my take on it.

• Olivia :) on April 21st, 2010 - 4:32pm

Hmm… I guess, Jaguar.

• garrett on April 25th, 2010 - 2:22pm

i don’t like how they lost all the familiar faces

• grace on May 3rd, 2010 - 10:43am

when i put off chores i feel like i have a ton of stuff to do, but when i get it done i have the rest of the weeken to do stuff i want to do so this devotional taught me a lesson on doing things when i’m supost to

• Clare on July 15th, 2010 - 1:41pm

hi i need advise: we’ve lived in Mountain Home ID for almost 8 years and my dad got orders to move to Arizona.

For a personal response, please e-mail us at questions@whitsend.org

• M&C mtchell on July 20th, 2010 - 11:58am

Hey FOF Hi How r u i’m fine I was Wondering If You could do A Response For Me Is Mitch Ever Coming Back I Have Been Wondering About This 4 A While Please answer!!!! Oh Yah I LOVE These devo. they r pretty cool. Please answer my Q I Have another q How Many Albums r U going 2 Have The new whit on y does the new odysseys not seem lioke Adventures in odyssey and the theme is 2 short like other peole said whit dosen’t come on and greet every1 y not? Don’t you LOVE My Nameitstands4Mitch&connieMitchell

• Rosebud on June 30th, 2013 - 11:13am

COOL!!

• Anonymous on January 20th, 2014 - 8:51am

I love to listen to Adventure in Odyssey I get on this Blog every day my favorite I love it i listening to it when i was 4 i will be 12 in 2 weeks thank you for making something for kids to grow up with love Bristol