Devotional: The Jubilee Singers

July 30th, 2010

After you’ve heard “The Jubilee Singers, Parts 1, 2, & 3,” check out this devotional thought. (If you haven’t heard the episode, check out the Media Player. You can also find a station in your area.)

The Jubilee Singers today

The Jubilee Singers today

By Catherine Wilson

The Jubilee Singers sang songs like “Swing Low Sweet Chariot,” and “The Gospel Train.” Have you ever sang songs like those or “This Train is Bound for Glory,” “Children Go Where I Send Thee,” or “Go Tell It on the Mountain?” I always loved these songs, but for a long time, I didn’t know their history. Christians wrote them in slavery many years ago. When these songs were created they weren’t written down, but they were sung over and over, and memorized.

Now that I know the story behind the music, I like to think that by singing these songs, I have a connection to the authors, and the other Christians who’ve sung them. Now I can sing “Go Tell It on the Mountain” and remember that one-hundred-fifty years ago, Christians were just as excited about Christ’s birth as I am now, even though they were in slavery.

It’s so special to sing these songs because we are brothers and sisters in Christ with the authors of the songs we sing. By singing, we can praise God with brothers and sisters from all different walks of life. And by knowing the history of these songs, we can sing them with even more enthusiasm because we know why they were written!

What are some of your favorite church songs? Do you know their history? Let us know in the comments below!

80 Comments on “Devotional: The Jubilee Singers”

• madison on August 7th, 2010 - 8:23am

My favorite church songs are “Amazing Grace” and “It Is Well”

• josh on August 7th, 2010 - 8:24am

my favorite song is don’t you want to go

• Julia on August 7th, 2010 - 9:34am

I just listened to Relatively Annoying.
    I think that Alex is really disrespectful to his grandparents, and his grandparents are always arguing.

• aaron on August 7th, 2010 - 10:21am

I sang “This Train Is Bound For Glory” in a choir once. the choir’s name is -The Triangle Youth Music Chorus- or just TYMC.

• M&C on August 7th, 2010 - 1:03pm

hey thank u 4 that dev. it was awsome I did some reasearch on the J singers they r pretty intresting! anyway a lot of the songs we sing at my church are really intesting but I don’t really know their history! Thanks agian!

• lecrae fan on August 7th, 2010 - 1:55pm

I love gospel music.

• Lu on August 8th, 2010 - 2:22pm

It may look to me like I am the first to comment but I am probably not. If so, yay! First time- if so. Anyway, our church does not always sing hymns (and I don’t really have a favorite hymn that I can think of). We mostly sing modern day worship music and the history of those songs probably isn’t very interesting.

• evie on August 8th, 2010 - 7:35pm

I ABSOLUTLY NO DOUBT ABOUT IT LOVE THE JUBILEE SINGERS MY FAVORIT MUSIC!
    EVIE
    HOCKEY BARRELL RACER

• Sarah on August 9th, 2010 - 2:09pm

Hmmm. There are so many but probably some of my favorites are: How He Loves Us, Reign, Pursuit, Amazing Grace,Song of the Redeemed, Come Thou Fount, and more that I do not know the name of. You probably have not heard of most of these though.

• Sarah on August 9th, 2010 - 2:10pm

oh yeah like Lu I don’t know the history of most of those (except Amazing Grace and I learned that from Odyssey) but most of those are contemporary songs

• bridget on August 9th, 2010 - 4:58pm

I disagree with Julia. Alex isn’t disrespectful. It would be very hard to stay with people that argumentative. I think his grandparents were just having a rough time with life. I think it would be really hard to have all your freinds die. That old and not much family around. It wouild be sad and deppressing. It would put you in a bad mood.

• Girlychef on August 9th, 2010 - 5:15pm

I love Amazing Grace!! :D

• Noah on August 9th, 2010 - 6:36pm

My favorite church song isn’t an old song, but it is cool. it’s called “The Stand”

• Noah on August 9th, 2010 - 6:37pm

How come you skipped the “Finish What you…” Devotional?

• ZACK on August 9th, 2010 - 7:08pm

My favorite song is go tell it on the mountain

• odesseygeeks on August 10th, 2010 - 8:29am

Guess what! My brother and I were watching Aladdin and the 40 thieves, and in the credits it said that Jess Harnel was in the movie! It didn’t say who he played though. Wooten, who were you in that movie?

• shadow girl on August 10th, 2010 - 11:32am

I like the song “The Presence of the Lord is here” But I dont know the history of it

• Bluegirl on August 10th, 2010 - 11:55am

My favorite church song is a song I think they only play at our church. It’s called Let my Words be Few. It’s slow but gracefully. I dance for 1-5 kids and we do that song with motions.

• winnithepooh on August 10th, 2010 - 3:40pm

i am in a wonderful christian childrens choir and we always get a spritual song to learn for our program. the past ones ive done are “Who’ll be a Witness?” and “Keep you Lamps” the spiritual songs are always my favorite! I love the Jubilee singers! wonderful job odyssey crew!

• lu on August 10th, 2010 - 9:31pm

ODESSEY GEEK:
    Yeah! I saw Jess Harnell’s name on the credits of Horton Hears a Who. I think he might have played the man who said, “My basement is is the attic!” Kind of cool to see his name in movie credits.
    LU

• ryan on August 11th, 2010 - 9:59am

my fav church song is praise is what i do

• Candac on August 11th, 2010 - 1:53pm

I have The Emperors New Groove one my ipod,and at the end of the movie I went looking for Jess Harnell’s name and I found it(it took a long time to find the name but I did it)!

• aio rox on August 12th, 2010 - 11:26am

I really wanted to hear the Jubilee singers today sing one of the songs, most specifically sweet low, sweet chariot. that is one of my favorite songs!

• zoe on August 12th, 2010 - 3:02pm

I loved the episodes of The Jubilee Singers. I had never heard about The Jubilee Singers until I heard the episodes. Thank You for making those episodes.

• franklin on August 13th, 2010 - 9:50am

I love The Jubilee Singers its great.

• 4God on August 15th, 2010 - 1:59pm

The Jubilee Singers were great :)
    It was a sad story though. :(

• JAQUE on August 16th, 2010 - 12:57pm

I’m from australia and yet I love Odyssey and I think the Jubilee singers are awesome.

• hl on August 16th, 2010 - 7:35pm

In the “you tell us” section of the website you should have a poll of what school people go to, homeschool, public school, or private school. Just an idea since a lot of people seem to have been asking at one point. Thanks!
    God Bless

• Sarah on August 17th, 2010 - 10:10am

Hey bluegirl I think I know that song. is that a Philips, Craig, and Dean song? i just know them because my daddy likes them. MY SISTER STARTED COLLEGE TODAY! Wow.

• Sarah on August 17th, 2010 - 10:11am

oh that is so cool Jaque. What’s it like in Australia? I used to know someone from there and y’alls accents are awesome!

• Jackson5fan on August 17th, 2010 - 11:02am

My fav church song is Amazing grace and Our God.

• dominique on August 17th, 2010 - 3:33pm

i love the jubilee singers. i also like their voice. my favorite church song is holy holy.the jubilee singers sounds like the campells.where do they sing?

• IHOPKC on August 17th, 2010 - 3:38pm

I LOVE GOSPEL MUSIC! Gospel train!!!

• Jamie on August 18th, 2010 - 6:25am

My Favorite hymn is “A mighty fortress is our God” i don’t know much history on it but know Martin Luther wrote it and he was a really cool guy during the Reformation!

• tg. on August 18th, 2010 - 5:04pm

where is mitch ? he is so cool i 4got did he and connie get married ?

• tg. on August 18th, 2010 - 5:21pm

is there a aio fan culb ? i am almost afraid of every thing just like shrayn . ok does ANY ! know were mitch is

• tg. on August 18th, 2010 - 5:26pm

nice jamie. i like oh god of jacob I LOVE GOD ! I AM A BOY!

• loryn on August 18th, 2010 - 10:58pm

i dont really have a favorite song but i do like “How Great Is Our God”… it sounds like Jess Harnell is on a lot of movie’s :-)

• Girlychef on August 20th, 2010 - 1:42pm

What are the names of some of the episodes in album 52? :)

• Stevie on August 20th, 2010 - 6:59pm

Hi yall
    I love Oh for a thousand tounges to sing. It’s a great Hyhm and i don’t remember who it is by. we sing it all the time in school. It’s so powerful.
    God Bless
    Stevie

• Stevie on August 20th, 2010 - 7:02pm

Hey boys I can answer your question about Mitch, one he and Connie are not married, and two he is in Budapest, which is a country in Europe and its the capital city of Hungary. And if you are thinking this, no he is probably not coming back.
    God Bless
    Stevie

• caitie on August 20th, 2010 - 7:15pm

I love the part where 1 of the 2 drunk men turns nice!

• MMP on August 20th, 2010 - 8:36pm

I LOVE IT

• hannah n f on August 21st, 2010 - 1:42pm

I love walking in sunlight.
    My family sings that song in the morning and evening.

• tyra on August 21st, 2010 - 5:10pm

my fav gospel song is lead me. IT ROCKS

• tyra on August 21st, 2010 - 5:14pm

What do you guys think about The Imortal Coil and The Whisper THOSE ONES ROCK Imean they are cool

• evie on August 21st, 2010 - 9:14pm

My favorit song they sang is swing low. i love that song.
    and TG whats oh god of jacob? is that one of the songs they sang?
    Evie
    P.S.I do play Hockey on a team and I Barrell race on a beautiful Arabian Pinto He’s really fast and gets even faster at competitions cause he gets so excited.
    Bye Now

• hl on August 22nd, 2010 - 5:35pm

T.G., Last time I heard from Mitch, He moved to Budapest and he and Connie almost married, but it didn’t work. I could be wrong, because I have not heard every episode, but I think that we probably won’t be hearing from him anytime soon.
    God Bless

• hannha on August 23rd, 2010 - 2:03am

i love amazing grace its my fave

• an oddessey on August 23rd, 2010 - 7:15pm

My favorite hymns is probably “Nothing But the Blood”, “We Three Kings” and “Joyful Joyful”. I really enjoy listening to Adventures In Oddessey on the radio. I think that it is a really good way to reach young and older people alike. It has good morals, and a funny and easy-to-follow storyline. THANK YOU

• Odyssey105 on August 24th, 2010 - 7:28pm

Umm.. I heard the Jubilee Singers a few months ago with my mom (cause we both luv ODYSSEY. Where was Olivia when she talked to that guy about the Singers? :) thanx

Odyssey105

• Odyssey105 on August 24th, 2010 - 7:31pm

HL: I have the Official guide to Odyssey book of AiO and Writer Kathy Buchannon said in the book that when the Chicago BUlls win the superbowl (yes she knows its a basket ball team) and Starbucks runs out of money: she will write Mitch back into Odyssey. Hannha. :D

• Odyssey105 on August 24th, 2010 - 7:35pm

GirlieChef: Here are some names in album 52: olivia, camilla, and matthew parker, emily and barret jones, whit, eva and david parker, connie, eugene, wooton. :)))

• Diva on August 25th, 2010 - 2:02pm

The jubelie singiners are amazing!

• Diva on August 25th, 2010 - 2:02pm

sorry, *singers. lol

• Jasmine on August 28th, 2010 - 2:34am

I love the gospel singers. My favorite song is Amazing Grace.

• tyra on August 29th, 2010 - 1:21pm

hey HL what did you think when connie and mitch almost got married

• loryn on August 29th, 2010 - 10:12pm

Stevie, i dont wanna b mean but how do you know all that about mitch?

• alex on August 30th, 2010 - 6:52pm

Maybe Stevie has been listening Loryn.

• ALEXIS on August 31st, 2010 - 8:18pm

wow i wish i could sing like that. My parents say i have a good voice but….anyway that was a good devotional and history about the Jubilee Singers. They really are great singers.

• Ireland on September 2nd, 2010 - 5:44pm

I love the Jubilee Singers l,ll,lll I listened OVER and over again! I learned ALL the songs!

• canada gal on September 4th, 2010 - 6:18pm

There are so many great hymns out there that I cannot decide which is my fave! I love old hymns; I find them a bit more poetic and heartfelt for some reason. One of my fave hymns would probably be We Shall Gather At The River. It’s a very joyful song about all the Christians meeting again in heaven. Sadly I forget the story but I will try and post it when I find it. My favourite song in the Jubilee singers is Gimme that Old Time Religion. YOU ALL ROCK!

• zoe on September 5th, 2010 - 3:32pm

I really enjoyed listening to the j singers and I have heard the the song go tel it on the mountain its a reAlly good song :)

• Stevie on September 17th, 2010 - 8:26pm

I love the song Psalm 92. It is so beautiful. We sing it every day before we begin our school! I just love it!
    God Bless Ya’ll
    Stevie

bat

• Stevie on September 17th, 2010 - 8:27pm

Oh I am soo sorry my sister got onto my computer and typed the word bat(Which she just learned) :) :)
    Stevie

• Hannah m. on September 20th, 2010 - 2:54pm

I loved the show The Jubilee Singers! The music is awesome! Especially “Old Time Religion”! LOVE IT!

• Stevie on September 22nd, 2010 - 6:13am

Loyrn,
    I got the Official Guide to Odyssey and I read in a section where the writer who created Mitch(Kathy Warrenga) said that she doesn’t want to bring him back. Ya’ll should get it, it us a big help to understanding Odyssey. No you were not mean.
    God bless Ya’ll
    Stevie

• Stevie on September 22nd, 2010 - 6:18am

See Odyssey105 has the book as well, just to prove that I’m not crazy. I have to go I’ve got to get ready for school. We’re celebrating Frodo’s Birthday ya’ll cool right!
    God Bless Ya’ll
    Stevie

• Stevie on September 22nd, 2010 - 6:19am

One more thing I know so much about Budapest because my History teacher made us memorize all the European Countries and Capitals

• Stevie on September 22nd, 2010 - 6:21am

Thanks Alex! I have been listening and I know so many facts, that I can answer all lot of questions, I ask me anything.

• melanie on September 23rd, 2010 - 8:30am

One of my favrite songs is in christ alone because that one line that says no power of hell no scheme of man can ever pluck me from his hand. It really helps me to think about how wonderful god is

• Raquel on September 29th, 2010 - 9:15pm

Hey I LOVE Pslams 98, it is powerfully written! Hey Stevie, I saw that you like sports, which ones(Oh and what is your favorite color?)
    Raquel:)

• Stevie on September 29th, 2010 - 9:18pm

Hey Raquel!
    I play Volleyball, Basketball, and I play soccer, I also swim a lot and run. I’m thinking of playing Lacrosse!
    Oh and my favorite color is PURPLE!
    Stevie

• CJ on November 7th, 2010 - 7:15pm

Hey bluegirl I like that song a lot too. FYI, it is by Rebecca St. James. It’s called Let my Words be Few.
    It would be really hard to choose my favorite song. I love all Christian music almost!!!! Two of my favorite bands right now are pureNRG and Third Day. Two fav. artists right now are Mark Schultz and hmm…Rebecca St. James.

• hannah on November 28th, 2010 - 2:15pm

I have a lot of favorite songs but I really love By Faith, Come thou Fount of Every Blessing and Jesus What A friend for Sinners. I think they all have powerful messages in them! In By Faith, I am reminded that by faith, Moses, the apostles and the reformers stood strong for their faith and did what the Lord told them to do, knowing that they would have great reward, but also knowing that there was great risk.
    Thanks, Odyssey for all the hard work you’re doing! I love Odyssey!
    Hannah

• whitsendblog on May 25th, 2011 - 7:43am

Devotional the jubilee singers.. Nice :)

• Tumaini on May 28th, 2011 - 4:10pm

how can you get the Jubilee Singers on the internet?!?! they are cool!! :):) :)

• whitsendblog on June 5th, 2011 - 6:56am

Devotional the jubilee singers.. Great! :)

• moriah on June 6th, 2012 - 12:37am

my favourite song is swing low sweet chariot and i know how to play it on the piano its great i had never heard about the jubilee singers untill i heard this episode.thanks

• duggar on December 3rd, 2012 - 7:47pm