Devotional: Fast As I Can

October 30th, 2010

After you’ve heard “Fast As I Can,” check out this devotional thought. (If you haven’t heard the episode, check out the Media Player. You can also find a station in your area.)

By Ashley Padgett

Whit said that fasting is “denying something the body enjoys in order to concentrate on something spiritual, like our relationship with God.”

I once decided to have a week long fast from Facebook, a website that I use to keep in touch with my friends. I realized that Facebook was becoming so important and time-consuming that my one-on-one time with God was getting shorter and shorter. I don’t think that Facebook is a bad thing (if your parents give you permission to use it!). For me, it’s a great way to keep in touch with the friends and family that I don’t get to see very often. But it was still making me forget to spend time with God. When I realized how sad it must have made God that I didn’t spend time with Him, I decided to log off of Facebook for a week, and use the time that I would be “Facebooking” to pray, read my Bible, or play with my younger brothers and sister.
At first it was hard! I felt a lot like Wooton and Matthew. Every time I’d start feeling bored, I’d want to log on and see what all my friends were saying. But as the week went on, I found myself enjoying the extra time with God and my family more and more. After the week was done, I was able to bring Facebook back into my daily routine without letting it take over all my free time.

Like the folks at Whit’s End learned, there are many things that I could fast in order to grow closer to God. Maybe you could fast desserts…I bet that would make your mom happy! Or how about a favorite TV show? Then you could set aside that half hour to spend with God.

How about fasting the snooze alarm? It’s easy to hit the snooze button and wait an extra ten minutes before getting up. But what if instead of using those ten minutes to lay in bed, you used that time to pray or read your Bible? There are lots of things that you could fast, and it’s different for each person.

Have you ever fasted something before? What did God teach you through that? If you do fast, be sure to post here and let us know what you learned!

62 Comments on “Devotional: Fast As I Can”

• HANNAH on October 30th, 2010 - 2:37am

I like the idea of fasting the snooze button. I use it every day and love my extra sleep. How much more wonderful would it be to spend that time with God! Thanks for this episode and idea.

Question: Eugene used a word at the end of the show I don’t know, in response to Connie’s “you’ll keep using two syllable words” Eugene answers (sounds like)
    “Endoubidily” What’s this word? Spelling and meaning?

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 30th, 2010 - 8:34am

Well, I’ve fasted a few things before. I once fasted food for a whole day once, which wasn’t especially hard to me, because I don’t like to eat, but i’m weird that way :-). I’ve also fasted from video games for a week, and that’s fun. This summer I really realized i was spending too much time on the Computer, so i started having a longer devotional and doing more things and getting closer to God. I’m working on reading the bible the whole way through, and I even readt he entire “passages” series

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 30th, 2010 - 8:39am

Fast as I Can Review Part 1

Well, we’re really starting to delve into the Album 52 season, with episode #5! This episode, I had to say i was looking forward to, ’cause fasting is an interesting topic, and i knew it would be funny. :-) And, i was right, this episode was incredibly funny, and i thoroughly enjoyed it! I laughed a lot, especially with Wooton, but my favorite scene was with Matthew Parker in the imagination station. I thought Will Ryan did a stellar perfomance as Thomas Jefferson…

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 30th, 2010 - 8:41am

Fast as I Can Review Part 2

…and I thought he was awesome! I’m glad they approached the idea of fasting, because i don’t think they’ve ever written about that before. It’s a good topic to teach to us kids, ’cause most of us don’t know a lot about it. It was very enjoyable, and I’m glad they brought back one of my favorite characters – Mrs. Randolph :-) I thought Chris Anthony did a good job, but found it funny that she say’s her own name at the end of the show…? What’s up with that? …

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 30th, 2010 - 8:43am

Fast as I Can Review Part 3

Also, when did Wooton get a duck? In between Album 51 & 52, I don’t really like the thought of Wooton’s pet duck, and just found it kind of silly. However, i will not yet judge it too harshly until i know more about this duck. That about does it for this review, but read Part 4… It’s a little interesting…

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 30th, 2010 - 8:45am

Fast as I Can Review Part 4 – Special

Well, this isn’t a review of the show, but rather an experiment I’m going to try. From Saturday at 9:00 am to Sunday at 9:00 PM, I will not touch a computer or a video game system. I am going to fast the things that take up the majority of my time, and see what else i can do to bettr spend my time. Also, For a FUN fast, from 9 am to 9 pm today (saturday) I will not speak any words of over 2 syllables – yes really. I’m going to try it, and write how it went.

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 30th, 2010 - 8:47am

Fast as I Can Review Pros and Cons

Pros:
    – Funny Fasts
    – Wooton did a good job
    – The displays sound interesting, wish i could see them.
    – Eugene’s speech

Cons:
    – Not sure if i like gertrude

Funny Note:
    The second person that asks eugene a question when he’s presenting his speech is none other than Rudy Hare!

Next Week:

Opposite Day

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 30th, 2010 - 8:54am

Well, I’m signing out of the computer. See you in another 36 hours! Also, I’m gonna start in a few minutes saying 2 syllable words. what a day!

This is Odysseyfan#1 Signing out!

• wakingup2010 on October 30th, 2010 - 8:59am

I was not impressed quality of this episode. I’m just beginning to check out the new-gen AIO episodes, and so far, there hasn’t been anything that I’ve liked better than what they have produced in the past. The new characters are well enough, but the stories and biblical message have been sub-par compared to what they have done in previous episodes.

• nicole on October 30th, 2010 - 1:04pm

I thought that this was an pretty good episode

• farmgirl on October 30th, 2010 - 2:38pm

thank yall for this great and inspiring episode!! this ant exactlly an evertday event!!!

• Nick on October 30th, 2010 - 9:06pm

this has nothing to do with “Fast As I Can,” but does adventures in odyssey have an email address?

• Lisa on October 30th, 2010 - 9:22pm

Yeah! I’m the first one to leave a comment!!

• isabella on October 30th, 2010 - 10:22pm

hello i like to come on odyssey alot you guys are amazing people. my friend told me about you guys i went stait to my mothers computer and ask her for perishin she said yes i was happy and axided thanx bye.

• Lisa on October 31st, 2010 - 8:10am

WELL, MY MOM FACEBOOKS TOO, SHE COULD FAST THAT!

• Wooten rocks on October 31st, 2010 - 10:27am

I really liked fast as i can because it was like an old odyssey with all my favorite characters. i really enjoyed Wootens fast though it was really great! but, does anyone know what the accident with the wiffle ball bat and surgery and Wooten was? if you do please tell me! thanks.:)

• Alia on October 31st, 2010 - 8:07pm

I really like these devo’s! Thank you AIO! (I have also listned to this episodes 4 times in one day..hehe)

• Anonymous on November 1st, 2010 - 10:38am

HWAT HAPPENED TO THE OLD CHARACTERS?

^

• Ann on November 1st, 2010 - 10:44am

I am getting used to the new odysseys but i do miss the old characters.

• Travis on November 1st, 2010 - 11:55am

Wow great devotional

• Fan on November 1st, 2010 - 4:57pm

That was the best newest A.I.O. episode I have ever heard. The writers did a good job for making this episode humorous. This episode is there best so far. Keep on seeking God’s choice in writing episodes!

• Kahlan on November 1st, 2010 - 7:05pm

I’m fasting Facebook right now!

• Odysseyfan#1 on November 1st, 2010 - 9:45pm

Hannah,

The word is “indubitably” and it means, “Definitely”. It’s a joke. :-)

Nick,

You can write to Questions@Whitsend.org

Wooton Rocks,

No one knows, no one will probably ever know.

Anonymous,

Theyy have been replaced and phased out, etc. Sorry. This is a new odyssey era.

• deanna on November 2nd, 2010 - 8:41am

I thought it was a great episode but i have the same question as Hannah. I wasn’t sure what that word meant either. Maybe we will have to check the dictionary (like any of Eugene’s words are in there anyway) :)

• Sam on November 2nd, 2010 - 9:24am

Hey Hannah,

That word is ‘indubitably’ and it is the adverbial form of the word ‘indubitable’, which means ‘not subject to doubt, certain’.

Hope that helps.

• taliax177 on November 2nd, 2010 - 10:25am

That was so funny! ” Thank you God for those white things that nobody really knows the name of!” Great new episode!

• Barbie on November 2nd, 2010 - 2:31pm

to odysseyfan#1: i like your review. i also like your idea of only using 2 syllable words; but, i wouldn’t even be able to talk without thinking.

I’m gonna try fasting today …. idk what, but i will!

<3,
    Alina

• Deanna on November 2nd, 2010 - 3:12pm

Hey Hannah and any other fans that were wondering about the word that Eugene used in response to Connie’s question “are you going to continue using 2 syllable words now?” in “Fast As I Can” I think i got the answer. I looked it up in the dictionary and this is what i got- Indubitably: it means Unquestionable. I Hope this helps you out. It helped me. I can understand an episode a whole lot better if i know what the words mean :)

• Junior on November 2nd, 2010 - 3:31pm

WOW! THE NEW MR.WHIT DOSEN’T EVEN SOUND LIKE HIMSELF. I LIKED THE OLD ONE BETTER. WHAT HAPPEND TO THE OLD 1 ?????

• Odysseyfan#1 on November 2nd, 2010 - 6:39pm

FAST AS I I CAN REVIEW UPDATE

Well, I did both of my fasts and both are complete, and now i shall tell you what i thought.

MY CPU & VIDEO GAME FAST

Well, I had been playing a video game and i was on the very very last level when i went on this thing, so it was a little hard to resist playing it. However, i found alternatives, and it was pretty easy. We were pretty busy all weekend, so it was okay. Actually, I spent almost all day on Sunday at church, so that was great. it kept my mind off it.

• Odysseyfan#1 on November 2nd, 2010 - 6:42pm

(Cont.)

The computer one was a little bit harder, ’cause when i’m bored, my first tendency is to go plop down on the CPU. But, I took the time i would be on the CPU playing outside – making an AWESOME Leaf pile! That was fun.

And now:

MY FAST FROM 3+-SYLLABLE WORDS

Yes, i copied eugenes fast and for 12 hours, i tried to never say a word over 2 syllables long. Just one thing to say about it. AUGH!! Yes, it was NOT fun. I will NEVER do anything like this EVER again!

• Odysseyfan#1 on November 2nd, 2010 - 6:45pm

(Cont.)

It distracted from my other fast, and was just plain hard. I had 8 3-syllable words in that period, and i really didn’t enjoy it. So, i strongly discourage any one from EVER doing this fast. Also, it was a little unrealistic how Eugene never said a 3-syllable word. He didn’t speak slowly, or anything, and let me tell you from my experience, the way Eugene talked throughout the episode is very unrealistic. But, the fast is over now!

Fun experiment, but I’m never doing it again.

• Me on November 2nd, 2010 - 7:34pm

I have fasted from TV. I decided to fast from TV because I realized when I didn’t see anything that I liked, I kept looking for something to watch instead of just cutting the TV off.

It was not as easy as I thought it would be because I decided that watching my favorite shows on the internet counted as TV. While fasting I learned that I had also used TV as background noise when I wasn’t watching it, but doing other things.

I learned TV really isn’t important. Now I watch less.

• Abbie on November 2nd, 2010 - 9:23pm

This one was pretty cool…. i really miss the old odysseys. it ALMOST sounded like the past episodes. Although, one thing I liked about the old episodes was the variety of characters. It wasn’t just one character appearing in every episode. Now it seems that certain people (besides connie, whit and eugene)are in every episode. I’m not sure if my post makes much sense, but I’m just sayin what i think. But I still LOVE ODYSSEY!!!!!! thanks for everything you guys have done!

• Tabitha on November 2nd, 2010 - 10:32pm

I absolutely LOVE Odyssey. My husband and I were raised listening to it. No television. Just Odyssey :) we still listen and love every minute!! I’m almost 22, and I have a 7 month old son.. I can’t wait for him to enjoy these wonderful stories! Thanks guys for giving us something to love! Keep up the good work!!

• a.m.y on November 3rd, 2010 - 8:54am

I thought it was kind of corny and I dont like Mathew Parker!
    @@
    ~

• h.y.m.a on November 3rd, 2010 - 9:01am

the new albums are all corny!

• Vict on November 3rd, 2010 - 11:02am

Yeah I like the orginal Whit

• Callie on November 3rd, 2010 - 12:05pm

What happened to Jared, and Trent? And, and the Barclys?

• Kelly on November 3rd, 2010 - 1:21pm

Wow! What a GREAT episode! Not only hilarious (all episodes with Wooten and Eugene in them are tremendously entertaining) – but the message was great as well. Spending more time with our really quite Amazing and Glorious Lord and Savior – YES! Bless you, and may all your obviously very hard work for the Lord be greatly blessed.

• Feiria on November 4th, 2010 - 3:06am

Amen! Great testimony. I fast in a similar way as i can’t do the food fasting due to my meds. So i do not read, watch or listen to anything that is not of spiritual value to me once every week. I find that this helps me to not get distracted by things of this world that are of no eternal value. It keeps me focused on the Lord and gives me a break from the stressful life that surrounds us everyday. I pray that the Holy Spirit gives me strength to focus on Him all the days of my life.

• Me on November 5th, 2010 - 11:40am

Hey It might sound wierd but I’m actully fasting Listening to AIO I realized that I listen to It about 5 or 6 times a day (It’s not wrong btu I didn’t ever have that much time with GOd) I’m Fasting AIO for a few friends to get saved

• Anonymous on November 5th, 2010 - 2:13pm

i am going to fast adventures in oddyssey. I dont like it as much as before

• lola on November 5th, 2010 - 7:53pm

How can one fast from food. I need food, or ill die lol. but ill try fasting from candy, since it was halloween a couple days ago

• SARAH on November 6th, 2010 - 10:22am

I fasted sugar for 3 months! It was really really hard. I loved the episode!

• Callie on November 8th, 2010 - 3:20pm

sometimes i don’t like fasting. but other times it encourages me

• Me on November 9th, 2010 - 6:16pm

U really shouldn’t fast something just because u don’t really like it or don’t mind giving it up for a week or whatever u really should put ur faith to the test and try something u THINK u can’t live without I know God will bless u for it. Oh an update about my fast. I belive God is on his way of saving the friends of mine that aren’t saved please pray that the will get sdaved

• meme on November 11th, 2010 - 4:28pm

if you see a post by MEME,it is not the same poster.please respond so i know that you saw.

• E.M. on November 14th, 2010 - 5:30pm

I thought “Fast as you can” was pretty good!!

• # 1 fan on November 22nd, 2010 - 4:42pm

yeah please!!!

• Elizabeth on November 22nd, 2010 - 4:46pm

“thought “Fast as you can” was pretty good!!

I REALLY WISH YOU GUYS AT AIO COULD BRING BACK THE OLD CHARCTERS!! I miss them sooooo much. Please listen to to your fans!!!! Bring back the old characters!”
    i soooooo agree E.M!

• SARAH on November 27th, 2010 - 6:05pm

Well sadly aio is probably not going to be able to bring back it’s old characters.Its going on to new stuff now.If they kept all the old characters it would be really boring.They would have to change them sometime!

• SARAH on November 27th, 2010 - 6:06pm

But i would looovveeee it if they brought the old characters again!!!!

• Mael on November 28th, 2010 - 7:14pm

Pretty please old charactors are calling for new albums!

• aio listner on November 30th, 2010 - 11:25am

Junior and Vict,
    In case ou’re still wondering where the old Whit went, well…to put it plainly, he went to heaven! I believe he went HOME in february of 2009.Yeah, I liked Paul Herlinger way better and still have not gotten used to the new whit.But i’m trying…

• aio listner on November 30th, 2010 - 11:28am

Oh, and by the way, Sarah,you didn’t really fast from sugar for THREE months or else you woulda died. One cannot live without sugar, unless you mean added sugars. Cause even milk and fruits have sugar.

• Peggy on January 27th, 2011 - 7:22pm

I think this is the best episode from Cause and Effect.

• Peggy on February 11th, 2011 - 5:30pm

This just felt more like an Odyssey episode than the other ones. I liked Eugene’s attempts to speak in two syllables or less!

• goo on September 15th, 2011 - 5:25pm

no but I feel like I need to I just dont know what.

• goo on September 15th, 2011 - 5:28pm

there I have an idea. I should fast the phone to onley 3 calls a week.:p <3!!

• josh on September 17th, 2011 - 2:57am

wooton rocks

• naomi 98 on November 18th, 2013 - 10:13am

And here’s the next clue!

What is an animal with wings and a beak called?

—-
    What is the house this thing eats from called? (It’s a two-part word, just enter the last one)

——