Devotional: Stage Fright

October 23rd, 2010

After you’ve heard “Stage Fright,” check out this devotional thought. (If you haven’t heard the episode, check out the Media Player. You can also find a station in your area.)

By Bethany Brown
Fear

Fear

When I left home for college, I was scared of everything. If you’ve ever had a first day of school, you probably know what I was feeling. Everything was new and different from home and I had to meet all new people. I worried that they wouldn’t like me and that I wouldn’t have any friends. I worried about how I was going to find all my classrooms and how to use the library, and where the financial aid office was so I could go get my first paycheck from my work-study job.

In fact, I was so scared of some of these things that I spent most of my spare time in my room. I always went to eat with my roommate so that I wouldn’t have to eat alone. The day before classes, I went to find and double-find all of my classrooms. I waited for weeks to go get my first paycheck until I could find someone to go with me so I could find the right office.

Sometimes fear can be a good thing. Just like pain warns us not to keep touching a hot stove, fear can keep us safe from things that are dangerous—like walking too close to a busy highway or the edge of a big cliff. In my case, my fears pushed me to be really prepared for class by knowing where I was going ahead of time. And it pushed me to be extra friendly when I met people in hopes of making friends.

In other cases, fear can hurt us. I stayed in my room and even avoided getting my first paycheck at college. In “Stage Fright,” the play was stopped completely because the whole cast quit out of fear. They were so afraid of what might be happening that they would never have known what was really happening if not for Emily and Matthew’s investigation.

Like the cast of the play, I eventually faced my fear. I learned to meet people and do the normal things of college life in spite of the fear I felt. A big thing that helped me was memorizing Bible verses about fear. One of my favorites is Isaiah 41:13. It says, “For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, ‘Do not fear; I will help you.” I could always repeat that verse when I was afraid, to remind me of God’s protection.

Do you have any favorite verses that you remember when you are afraid? Feel free to share them in the comments below, and then pick a new one someone else has shared to learn for the next time you are afraid!

92 Comments on “Devotional: Stage Fright”

• Callie on October 23rd, 2010 - 7:29am

I think this very encouraging. I like it.

• Callie on October 23rd, 2010 - 7:29am

First comment!

• J.R.C on October 23rd, 2010 - 7:39am

Barrett actually has a pretty good voice!!!;D

• J.R.C on October 23rd, 2010 - 8:05am

One of my favorite verses is Isaiah 41:10.

• KY on October 23rd, 2010 - 8:35am

AM I THE FIRST TO COMMENT?

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 23rd, 2010 - 9:07am

I remember my first day of kindergarten was kind of scary. but then 1st grade and beyond was homeschooling (which, come to think of it can be kind of scary too!) I like this passage i memorized in my devotional from proverbs 3: “When you lie down, you will not be afraid, when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Have no fear of sudden disaster or the evil that overtakes the wicked, for the lord will be your confidence and keep you foot from being snared.” I like the first part andthelastpart.

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 23rd, 2010 - 9:10am

Stage Fright Review Part 1

Well, I was totally not excited for this episode, because i was basing it off “Game for a Mystery”, which i personally thought was one of the worst episodes of last season. Now i realize that Kirby Atkins was just getting started and probably a little bit intimidated for his first show. I wasn’t really thinking much about this episode, thinking it would be just as dismally bad as the other Jones & Parker Detective Agency. Well,I now have to admit, I was wrong…

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 23rd, 2010 - 9:13am

Stage Fright Review Part 2

I thought this was a really great show – definitely a must-hear! I think this is one of my top shows of this season, and i really enjoyed it! I must admit i really couldn’t stand Emily Jones in last season, but, she’s really growing on me. I really liked her this episode. I love priscilla and i’m glad we will hear more of her in future episodes (Like Opposite Day, and Malted Milkball Falcon). Not too big a fan of Barret, but that’s just me. LOVE Matthew Parker…

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 23rd, 2010 - 9:16am

Stage Fright Review Part 3

and he’s probably my favorite kid character. I liked the new additions to the odyssey cast like Miss Adelaide. I read some about her in the Clubhouse magazine Jones & Parker Detective Agency File, but i really liked her in this episode. Liked Mr. Stolfitz… or however you say his name. I can normally pick out who the real life actors are of Odyssey characters, but I really couldn’t tell it was Jess Harnell until the end! I thought Jess Harnell did a fabulous job…

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 23rd, 2010 - 9:17am

Stage Fright Review Part 4

this episode, and i think he is a truly tremendous actor! I’ve met him in person, and he is super fun in real life too! Overall, i thought this episode was super fantastic, and the writing, acting, sound design, everything was wonderful.

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 23rd, 2010 - 9:20am

Stage Fright Review Pros & Cons

Pros:

-Jay’s “Rue the Day” line

-Mr. Stolfitz

-Emily and Matthew (Some of their dialogue was good)

-Priscilla (I like her character a lot)

-Ms. Adelaide (Can’t wait to hear from her in the future)

-Winiffred!

Cons:

-Singing… I don’t like singing in odyssey episodes!

-The ending wasn’t remotely possible to figure out. I like mystery episodes where you have a chance to figure out who the bad guy is before the characters

Next week: Fast as i Can!

• Frog girl on October 23rd, 2010 - 9:26am

COOL I KNOW ABOUT BEING AFRAID BECAUSE I MIGHT BE LEAVING MY FOLKS FOR A WEEK NEXT SUMMER. (I’m going to camp for the first time, oh, and i like writing BIG). (:
    Anyways, great post, i really liked it.

• dominique on October 23rd, 2010 - 1:19pm

thats what i learn.i thought about when i was scared when i was on stage competing gym.

• A.M.Y.H. on October 23rd, 2010 - 1:31pm

WHAT HAPPENED TO ALEX, AUBRY, BART, BERNARD ,DONNA, DORIS, EDWIN, ELAINE, GEORGE, HARLOW, JACK ALLEN, ALEX, JARED, JASON, JIMMY, JOANNE, KATRINA, LIZ, MANDY, MARVIN, MARY, RODNEY, SAM, TAMIKA, GRADY, AND TOM???????? I THINK THE NEW CHARACTERS SOUND RIDICULOUS!!!!!!

• Ruthjoyy on October 24th, 2010 - 2:38pm

Odyssey is different..

• Fan on October 24th, 2010 - 3:14pm

Being a fan of mystery novels, I think that you will need to work on hiding your culprits. It is still too easy to know who is the villain in your newer A.I.O. episodes. The Broken Window or Nova-com are great examples of the best mystery novels for A.I.O. episodes. Also I agree with A.M.Y.H’s comment on where are the other characters are. Some of new acting is okay, but I know it can be better. Hope & pray that God will help you in the direction in where you need to be.

• Beer on October 24th, 2010 - 4:08pm

I love Odyssey!! It rocks!!

• i love w&c on October 24th, 2010 - 4:14pm

I absolutely love Connie and Wooten!! They crack me up :D
    I soooo want to meet them sometime!!!

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 24th, 2010 - 4:22pm

Wow, frog girl, i don’t think i could ever do that. I’m used to being with my parents all the time…

A.M.Y.H, Alex moved to texas, Aubry went to college, the actor for bart died, Bernard Actor moved to florida, DOnna got too old, doris went away with bart, edwin actor moved to hawaii, elaine, marvin, and tamika got phased out, George, Jimmy, and Mary moved to Pokenberry Falls, Harlow’s still here, Jack’s still around occasionaly, You already said alex, Jared’s voice changed…

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 24th, 2010 - 4:23pm

Jason lives in France now, Joanne hasn’t been around ,but she may pop up, katrina will be in album 53, Liz actor is in college, mandy grew up, Rodney might still be around, Sam got old, Grady grew up, and Tom actor died. Phew. Okay. I’m done.

• SARAH on October 25th, 2010 - 7:24am

i didn’t really like in Stage Fright how you couldn’t tell what was going to happen or try to figure out the mystery.

• I Love ODY! on October 25th, 2010 - 4:17pm

Odyssey rocks!! It’s such a good Christian program :) Thanks so much!!! I especially love Connie…you’re awesome girl.

• Sarah on October 25th, 2010 - 4:24pm

Yesss! A verse that I always say is Psalms 27:1-6 I would recomend every one learing it! It’s so encouraging. It says… “The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear. The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid. When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me even then will I be confident. One this I ask of

• Sarah on October 25th, 2010 - 4:27pm

the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.”

That was just four verses. But I love them. Another one is Isaiah 41:10 which I learned from an old Odyssey tape with the character Danny. Anyone remember that one?

• Anonymous on October 25th, 2010 - 4:29pm

Yeah I was not excited when I saw there were to be more mysteries with emily. But in this album everyone was better. I cant’ say I love all of them but they are growing on me somewhat. I thought it was a much better plot too for a mystery. And Matthew is a cool kid.

• cALLIE on October 25th, 2010 - 8:41pm

I think this very encouraging.I like it

• REK27 on October 26th, 2010 - 7:26am

One of my favorite verses is Joshua 1:9. When I was on my first mission trip, our van got stopped by the police, and it was pretty nerve-wracking. We didn’t have a translator with us, and all kinds of stuff had gone on that day. My friend and I were in the back seat holding hands, and we were really scared. Then the verse Joshua 1:9 popped into my head, and God gave me His peace. It was amazing.

I like Album 52 even more than Album 51. :)

• Deanna on October 26th, 2010 - 10:29am

“Stage Fright” is a great episode. I am really enjoying album #52. Great job everybody!!!

• Original Joe on October 26th, 2010 - 11:36am

Sarah, that episode was titled “Afraid, Not!” from the album “A Journey of Choices”.

• Chloe on October 26th, 2010 - 2:30pm

One of my very favorite Bible verses is Joshua 1:9 “Be strong and courageous!Do not be dismayed… For The Lord your GOD is with you wherever you go.”

• Barbie on October 26th, 2010 - 3:57pm

i like Emily and Mathew ; i also liked “Twenty-Two Trombones” ! i know that lots of stuff is different but people face the facts life changes things change people change you just gotta deal with it.

• sarah on October 27th, 2010 - 7:16am

To M.A.Y.H.

I admit I like and want the old characters back,(and maybe even an explanation about why they weren’t in album 51 at all) but I kinda like the new characters. I admit though that at first I didn’t like Emily, but she really grew on me. I do have one main question. Rodney has been on MANY albums. He was on them during the whole Blackgaard thing. Yet how is it that Lucy and Jack and them were younger, yet they grew up and he’s still in middle school. Plus NO ONE knows how old Connie>

• sarah on October 27th, 2010 - 7:18am

contin.

is. She must be at least 30 by now. A lot of people have moved away and grown up but those two haven’t.

• sarah on October 27th, 2010 - 7:19am

P.S. This is my first and longest revue, I just wanted to say that because some one else named SARAH wrote a revue.

• Bookworm on October 27th, 2010 - 8:00am

I agree with you Anonymous. I don’t care much for album 51 & 52. I find myself listening to all the old albums instead. I’m kind of dissapointed in AIO.

• unknown on October 27th, 2010 - 12:37pm

wow! am i ever afraid of being on stage and doing stuff like that!! yikes! by the way….. I love that picture! so funny but totally acturate!

• unknown on October 27th, 2010 - 12:40pm

love psalms 27:1-6! so great! by the way love odyssey! Keep it coming focus!

• BEER on October 27th, 2010 - 4:50pm

i like 1 John 4:4. I repeat it to myself every night before i go to bed because im a fraidy cat!! I also pray that God’s angels will surround me during the night while I’m asleep. that helps me a lot :)

• Mael on October 28th, 2010 - 11:01am

Love it!

• Capa girl on October 28th, 2010 - 12:06pm

I haven’t watched it yet but it sounds good

• Chloe on October 28th, 2010 - 1:20pm

I LOVE THAT VERSE ALSO!!

• KY on October 28th, 2010 - 2:46pm

Wow Odyssey fan 1. you comment a lot!

• hi on October 28th, 2010 - 2:49pm

I happen to think that the new AIO albums aren’t very good at all

• Anonymous on October 28th, 2010 - 3:52pm

Really was unimpressed with this episode did not like the caracters. I cant stand the “emily jones mystery person”. I just think that odyssey could do way better as they have in the past. I have enjoyed extreamly the Jubille singers of album 51 and see how the focus team can put a lot of GREAT shows on the air!

• Callie on October 28th, 2010 - 4:38pm

WHAT HAPPENED TO JARED DEWHITE????????? HE’S AWSOME! WHERE IS HE? CAN HE COME BACK????

• Jamie on October 29th, 2010 - 7:26am

To Callie: Jared Dewhite (His Actor) grew up!

The person they really need to bring back, or at least mention, is Richard Maxwell!! What happened to him after he was at the hospital?? Why did he just disappear? did he leave Odyssey?

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 29th, 2010 - 10:45am

Yeah, KY,I’m a huge fan. I have lots of albums, and I’ve gone to a live show, and I’ve even been out there and seen some of the staff’s Cubicles. It’s cool.

Sorry, Callie, Jared’s gone. He got older and grew up!

• adrian on October 29th, 2010 - 6:07pm

You know if you by the newest album you will find out that it is a little bit longer all of them are! they just can’t get the whole episode on the air.

• rebekah on October 30th, 2010 - 10:47am

i did not lisen to stage fright yet but album 51 and52 look pretty awsome to me and my little brother james

• odyssey fan on October 30th, 2010 - 8:20pm

i did like this episode but it was unpredictable.it was very cleverly written. this album is way better then album 51 and i think that they were just having a rough start with starting over with odyssey in it.

• day on October 30th, 2010 - 8:53pm

I love adventures in odyssey!I have #1,2,3,and4 book
    series.Odyssey rocks!

• jANE on October 31st, 2010 - 8:25am

The lord is my shepard i shall not be in want he makes me lye down in green pastures he leads me beside quiet waters he restores my soul He guides me in pathes on righteuness for his name sake even though i walk in the valley of the shadow of death i will fear no evil for you are with me your rod and your staff they comfort me you prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies my cup overflows surely goodness an love will follow me all the days(continued next comment)

• jANE on October 31st, 2010 - 8:27am

of my life and i will dwell in the house of the lord forever! This is my favorite Psalm!

• Michelle on October 31st, 2010 - 3:33pm

Yeah??? totally, what happened to him? SNIFF.
    HE ROCKS!!!!! By the way, is trent is brother? Because they both have the same last names… Trent/Dewhite Jared/Dewhite?
    I’m confused. My sisters and I are trying to figure that out.

• Gloryy on October 31st, 2010 - 4:47pm

To ODYSSEYFAN#1:A response to October 24th, 2010 – 4:23pm…wow, that’s depressing.

• kat on November 2nd, 2010 - 7:18am

Thank you I love all the coments I listened to all the ones you guys talked about

• lala on November 3rd, 2010 - 2:05pm

Odyssey Fan #1…how do you know so much about what happened to the characters???

• emma on November 3rd, 2010 - 2:54pm

hello there!!! I love aio so much, mr. whittaker’s new voice is good. you did a very good job finding a new voice, it matches veeeeeeeery well!!!!! God bless you!!! keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• oregongirl on November 5th, 2010 - 3:53pm

I really like these devotionals, Thanks for making them!!
    I think album 52 is off to a good start, I liked stage fright a lot. I’m looking forward to the rest of the season
    God bless!!! :)

• lola on November 5th, 2010 - 7:59pm

i didnt really like this episode, it was corny, i mean really a parrot was the vocie, So thing i am afraid of is bugs. I hate bugs! i love aio though lol

• Selena on November 10th, 2010 - 9:17pm

Stage Fright
    Stage Fright I think, when it is the real stage fright, worried about your performance helps. I once was played King Oberon in A Midsummers Night Dream, and the butterflies helped me to perform to the best of my ability, funny how that works! Stage fright can be good, but to much of it will cause tooo much stress. I love to act, I also like horse riding(I have a horse named Belle) hockey, soccer, basketball, archery, fencing, and volleyball, and computer programing, We do that in

• Selena on November 10th, 2010 - 9:21pm

my math class at school and it rocks. Today we watched the Wizard of Oz and wow! I cannot believe how ling its been since I’ve seen that! AIO has changed many life, you will forever inspire and forever live on through the hearts of many young american kids. Continue to teach us to dream, reach for the stars, hope, and love our Lord the one who made all of this possible.Keep up the good work guys. :D :P
    Your friend, and a girl who is changed and inspired by AIO
    Selena A. H.

• Brittini on November 11th, 2010 - 9:58am

I like the vrs. that says “I will never leave you nor forsake you” I Can’t really think of where it’s at but I think of that vrs. when I’m upset of scared

• BFA_FAN on November 12th, 2010 - 5:43pm

not a fan of the new Odyssey..at all ):

• yoyo on November 12th, 2010 - 7:28pm

A mi me gusta el episode mucho!!! AIO es muy interesante!!

• lisa on November 13th, 2010 - 6:41pm

I have really enjoyed the new episodes. They have been interesting and fun.

• hannah on November 13th, 2010 - 7:27pm

I have a feeling that’s what I’m going to be like when I go to college!:)Guess I should work on that.

• katie on November 15th, 2010 - 8:06pm

when i’m afraid i repeat these words if our God is with us then who could ever stop us. also,santn in the name of Jesus Christ i command you to go away! whatalso helps me to give praise to the lord is i lissen to postitve encouring music on the radio. some of the songs are really encouring they give out strong mesages. thanks for reading. God bless you!

• amy on November 16th, 2010 - 12:32pm

Barrett has a really nice voice.

• katherine on November 17th, 2010 - 9:43am

Does anyone know where Katie Leigh and Jess Harnel and all those people live?

• #1 fan on November 17th, 2010 - 9:13pm

barrets voice was ok but then he lost some of it

• Clara on November 18th, 2010 - 8:02pm

Odyssey Fan #!, do you spend your entire day on this site?!?

I like verse that I’m including a section of: ‘God gave us not a spirit of fear, but of love…’

Hey, I think Barrett and Emily are AWESOME! Camilla is my favorite Parker and my brother is like, Matthew’s twin. He tries to explain science or computers, or robots, or physics to me, but I phase out after about 2 seconds.

• oddesey is#1 on November 18th, 2010 - 9:08pm

wow great episode ru the day lol

• isabel on November 19th, 2010 - 7:40am

if I get afraid of something I just think of Psam 23

• isabel on November 19th, 2010 - 7:41am

And yeah I was surprised to when I heard his voice. It’s good!

• isabel on November 19th, 2010 - 7:42am

Ooo also if I’m afraid i just ask God to help me not to be

• Ms. Michael on November 19th, 2010 - 12:25pm

People shouldn’t say “First comment!” Or anything like that, because more than likely (as in this case), the comment will end up as the fourth or fifth!
    I do love odyssey!

• katherine on November 19th, 2010 - 3:00pm

I love Adventures In Odyssey!!! It is awesome!
    Does everyone know everyone on here?
    If so, Hi everyone! My name is Katherine and I’m 12.
    Isabel-How old are you?
    If you think I’m being wierd because dont know you and I am asking you a question…dont answer. I’m just trying to get to know SOMEONE!!!

• ashton on November 19th, 2010 - 6:01pm

hi Katherine,
    i don’t know any one on here ether.My Name is Ashton and i’m almost 11 and i’m homeschooled and i have 1 sister and 2 brothers so are you home schooled?

Ashton, oh yes and i love your name!!its so pretty :D

• Stevie on November 19th, 2010 - 11:02pm

Hi Katherine! Hope I spelled that right! :D I agree with you, it takes a while to make an appearence. I can tell you about myself, if you like. I’m thirteen and in seventh grade, I love the color purple, and have braces, and seven siblings. I play basketball, soccer, volleyball, and tons more. I love to write and read. What about you. I LOVE Odyssey too! I’ll talk to you, if you want! Tell me okay? Oh and tell me about yourself! I love Narnia too!
    A girl who wants to be your friend,
    Stevie :D

• Mael on November 26th, 2010 - 2:27pm

I really did not like Emily’s last mystries but these are3 like WAY BETTER! Barett is good, I liked twenty-two trombones but its not anser play, its hands to play at the end. loved the singing, I sing so I was like WOW!Winifred was GREAT!

• Mael on November 26th, 2010 - 2:33pm

Hey Kathrine I just kind of stay around, you get to know about a lot of people that way.I’ll be twelve next week, I’m homeshooled and I ADORE Narnia!

• me on November 26th, 2010 - 9:03pm

hEY mY MOM’S FACE SORTA LOOKS LIKE THAT WHEN SHE SEES A SNAKE lol

• SARAH on November 27th, 2010 - 6:14pm

Hi Katherine!!! Im 12 and in seventh grade.I love the color purple.I hate math and i have 4 sibblings. I love reading.I am homeschooled and lovveee Narnia!!!! Wow i just realized me and Stevie have a lot in common!!!
    Sarah

• Stevie on December 1st, 2010 - 7:35pm

Cool beans Sarah!!!!!!! LOVE purple! Katherine hope you are doing fine, you seem like an awesome girl! Keep working hard for the King of Kings!
    Stevie

• HANNAH.S on December 20th, 2010 - 12:49am

was it nessary to use the code name beer just wondering

• beer on January 26th, 2011 - 8:43pm

Hannah S.

Beer is my last name. Thats the only reason i used it!!!

• Rainbow on May 13th, 2011 - 6:53am

Hi Katherine, Sarah, and Stevie!!!
    I am 12 years old (about to be 13 in August) and I love to colors blue, green, and purple. I HATE math with a burning passion and I love to read. I love Ted Dekker’s books, they’re amazing. :)

So I have the same stage fright problem as the author…I mean, I haven’t ever done soccer (I’ve known how since I was 2 years old) because I’m afraid I’ll mess up!But now I finally am, and I’m scared. But I have collected all of the verses you guys/gals have given

• Rainbow on May 13th, 2011 - 6:56am

me, and I’ll memorize them to help me. Thanks for your help!!!!
    Here they are…
    Hope they can help someone else like they help me!
    Isaiah 41:10

Isaiah 41:13
    Proverbs 3:
    Psalm 27:1-6
    Joshua 1:9
    1 John 4:4
    Psalm (green pastures)
    Psalm 23

BTW, I love AIO thank you so much for what you do. It really impacts my life. Everyday I come home from school and listen to the newest Odyssey episodes!!! Thanks!!! <3 U!!!
    -Rainbow98

• Kara-Lynne on June 5th, 2011 - 2:44am

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW CAN I LISTIN TO IT AGAIN?!!!!!!!!!

• naomi 98 on November 18th, 2013 - 10:43am