Devotional: The Mystery of the Clock Tower

October 21st, 2010

After you’ve heard “The Mystery of the Clock Tower Parts 1 & 2,” check out this devotional thought. (If you haven’t heard the episode, check out the Media Player. You can also find a station in your area.)

Sweeping

Sweeping

By Ashley Padgett

Last summer, I worked at a camp for a few months. It was a lot of fun, but there were certainly a lot of long and tiring days for those of us on staff.
One day, my friend Brittany was sweeping the kitchen before we left for the day, and I noticed that she didn’t have a dustpan. I went and grabbed one and held it as she swept. I probably would have never thought about it again, except that Brittany mentioned it to me several days later. She said that day was an especially hard one for her. Everything had been going wrong and she was on the brink of tears all day. As she was sweeping, all she could think about was how bad that day was going. But then, when I got the dustpan for her, she said it really picked her up to know that someone cared. It made her whole day better.

I never would have guessed that such a simple act could change someone’s whole day!

We saw something similar in “The Mystery of the Clock Tower,” where Alicia’s small act of anger changed everything for her sister. Eugene told Matthew, “if you take one action, than another action is likely to follow.” We have to be careful with our decisions, because sometimes our actions will cause hurt for others. But we also should be on the lookout for ways we can affect people in good ways! With my friend Brittany, I gave her a smile and helped her (cause) so she felt better about herself and her day (effect).

What are some ways you’ve seen Cause and Effect in your own life? What are some ways that you’ve been a good “cause” in someone’s life? How have you seen the “effects”? Tell us about it in the comments below!

46 Comments on “Devotional: The Mystery of the Clock Tower”

• e.c.l. on October 21st, 2010 - 4:12pm

wow!i love it!

• Alex on October 21st, 2010 - 7:38pm

Wow! Who would have known that Wooton could have hosted a show with no point and, make a point without even trying! And that “point” was a good one at that. It taght me a lesson and i hope others got the “point” too.

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 21st, 2010 - 9:47pm

Cool! We finally get the devotionals… Are you guys ever gonna finish the Take it from the Top devos? :-)

If you want so my review of part 1: go here – http://whitsendblog.org/2010/09/preview-album-52-cause-and-effect-plus-an-interview-with-the-voice-of-camilla-parker/ and go to the time October 2nd, 2010, 7:11 AM

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 21st, 2010 - 9:49pm

• Mael on October 22nd, 2010 - 6:26am

I really like The Mystery of the Clock Tower. It kept me in suspense the whole week and in the end, I mean when Matthew mentioned that Andrew might be the culprit I didn’t really think on it and then I was like really caught by surprise!

• Fan on October 22nd, 2010 - 8:32am

I knew who the villain when Matthew said it in the first part. It is more fun when you really have to think who is the villain. I am sorry to say that this was too easy to figure out. I think the acting and writing need to improve drastically.

• abigail on October 22nd, 2010 - 2:50pm

hi my name is abigail i realy did like the mystery of the clock tower it was so cool! how did you gett such a odyssy’s are so awsome! keep up the good work!

• Stevie on October 22nd, 2010 - 4:39pm

Cause and effect, that is a great topic, I think a good example is when Isildur did not cast the great ring into the fires of Mount Doom, he kept it for himself. By that one simple flaw, it caused many lives to suffer in Middle Earth, and a great war. For thos who don’t know I’m talking Lord of the Rings of course. I’m on a roll about it. :P
    Now that an example has been given I just want to say that I enjoyed this mystery, and I will continue to rave about Odyssey.
    Stevie

• anonymous on October 23rd, 2010 - 2:00pm

When my mom is tired and has a lot on her mind I do something to lighten her load(cause) the effect is that she feels better and it makes my day brighter also.

• mikey on October 23rd, 2010 - 7:04pm

I definetly think that this was better than any of the Odysseys from album 51. I liked it a lot! Even though my little brother told me who the bad-guy was before I had a chance to listen to it.(I would put a smiley face, but I STILL don’t know how)lol

• Odysseyfan#1 on October 24th, 2010 - 4:29pm

Mikey, to do a smiley face do this : – ) But without spaces in between.

• SARAH on October 25th, 2010 - 7:27am

Wow! That was like my favorite Odyssey this season!!

• Stevie on October 25th, 2010 - 9:12pm

Mikey to do a smiley face you can do : ) and it turns into this without the spaces :) Don’t put any spaces when you do it, or do : P to get :P or do : ( to get :( or do : D to get :D
    hope this helps.

• Stevie on October 25th, 2010 - 9:12pm

:-) is this what you mean Fan?

• E on October 26th, 2010 - 10:22am

This has been one of our favorites of the most recent episodes. It was too easy to figure out, but overall it was pretty good.

• Deanna on October 26th, 2010 - 10:36am

Best show ever produced! I didn’t know how it was going to turn out!

• Capa girl on October 27th, 2010 - 6:42pm

that one was awesome!!! i love it!

• Mael on October 28th, 2010 - 11:03am

I know! It was wonderful.

• meme on October 28th, 2010 - 4:34pm

I don`t like romance, but this was cool!

• Aio FAN!!!! on October 28th, 2010 - 10:17pm

It was better than the last album but these past 2 albums havnt really been biblical they do teach a lesson but for instance “stage fright” was not based on the bible. Isnt AIO supposed to be based on the Bible?! several people I know agree with me!!!

• dIANA on October 29th, 2010 - 2:33pm

1 OF THE GIRLS IN MY HORSEBACK RIDING LESSONS NAME IS JAMIE AND THAT DAY SHE HAD BEEN LEFT AT SCHOOL WHEN HER FRIEND TERRA’S DAD FORGOT TO PICK HER UP FROM SCHOOL.SHE WAS UPSET. I TOLD HER THAT I LIKED HER NEW RIDING BREECHES.I’M NOT SURE IF IT HELPED HER FEEL HAPPY BUT IT DID MAKE HER MOOD A LITTLE LIGHTER.IF YOU CAN’T DO A FAVOR LIKE ,GIVING THEM A DUSTPAN OR HELPING THEM WITH HOMEWORK.HONEST COMPLEMENTS USUALLY HELP A LOT.

• EM on October 29th, 2010 - 4:29pm

I love this episode.

• hi on October 30th, 2010 - 12:54pm

I didn’t really think this episode had a very good point to it, for people who listen to these episodes the moral should be clear, but I didn’t even see the spiritual lesson in this one

• mikey on October 30th, 2010 - 4:23pm

Thanks odysseyfan#1 and Stevie. I’ve been posting on here for,like,3 years and never did figure out how to do those until now.:D

• odyssey fan on October 30th, 2010 - 8:43pm

i liked this episode and i couldn’t figure it out until the end and i still don’t get it. it’s a little confusing i don’t understand what all the relations were i couldn’t tell who was related to who. but overall it was great and i liked this one and the others in this episode.:)

• Stevie on November 1st, 2010 - 9:01pm

Oh mikey in case you are wondering, your last post did not give a smiley face, because you did .:D you need to do . (then space) :D

• #1 fan on November 2nd, 2010 - 1:13pm

i loved that episode and i loved the story. this morning in fact i got up at 6:10 (:P) and tried to be quiet making pancakes while my mom slept. unfortunately she woke up… but she helped me get started and it made my mom’s, my little sister’s, and my day. i used the leftover sausage that i had used to make home made pizza the night before…

• mason on November 3rd, 2010 - 8:19am

awsome! second best one ever besides the last great adventure of summer. i loved that one

• q on November 3rd, 2010 - 3:44pm

love it so suspenful

• adrian on November 5th, 2010 - 10:48am

we got the new album after we heard the whole thing and it is actually longer than it is on the air!

• FumikO on November 5th, 2010 - 4:41pm

I really loved The Mystery of the Clock Tower, It was suspenseful and well… Just really fun! It kept me on the edge of my seat and it’s amazing how you come up with all these terrific stories and still give them a point, I can hardly wait for more episodes like this in the future, It was really, really good! My favorite so far! :D

• SARAH on November 6th, 2010 - 10:16am

That was an amazing episode!!!! That is defenitly one of my favorites!

• sammy on November 9th, 2010 - 12:16am

HI,THIS IS SAMMY HERE.JUST WANNA SAY HOW AWESOME I THINK ADVENTURES IN ODYSSEY IS! ALSO,I’M HEAD OVER HEELS 2 HAVE THE ALBUM “CAUSE AND EFFECT”! I CANT WAIT 2 FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS! WHY IS THE CLOCK IN THE TOWER STUCK AT 11:45?
    IS IT A BOMB? AND-Y-CANT-I-GO-2-ODYSSEY-FAN-SITES-WITH-OUT-SPOILERS! LOL! CAN U PUT THIS 2-PART EPISODE ON THE FREE PODCAST EPISODES?’CAUSE ALOT OF LISTENERS OF ODYSSEY DONT GET THE ALBUM TILL CHRISTMAS! :-)

• amanda on November 11th, 2010 - 12:38pm

I did not really like the Mystery of the Clock Tower. It was very obvious

• HUGE FAN on November 16th, 2010 - 12:48pm

The Mystery of the clock tower was really cool it was a real cool mystery.

• mikey on November 18th, 2010 - 7:56pm

I hope I get some AIO albums for Christmas. There’s two things you can’t go wrong with, Adventures in Odyssey and the Green Bay Packers. :D

• Stevie on November 24th, 2010 - 11:25pm

No way, its the Boise State Broncos and A.I.O
    :D

• SARAH a on November 27th, 2010 - 6:23pm

i liked this episode although i could guess who the villan was quickly it was still fun waiting to see if i was right

• mikey on December 6th, 2010 - 11:57am

Sorry, Stevie. But the Packers are WAY better than the Broncos!! Check the stats. But at least we agree about A.I.O.!! (lol)

• HANNAH.S on December 20th, 2010 - 12:59am

great epiosode :-)

• Stevie on January 7th, 2011 - 10:22pm

Okay Mikey You know they are in diffrent what is it called you know leagues, I admit that they’re loosing was bad, but they totally ROCK!

• Peggy on March 29th, 2011 - 5:59pm

Not one my favorite episodes, but I like it when Matthew says, “Your sins will find you out”.

• jordan on April 8th, 2011 - 5:59pm

that is sad on how she thought that nobody even cared . but that other girl really did somthong cool ! ; )

• PEGGY on April 18th, 2011 - 6:43pm

I really wanted Andrew to be innocent, which is the reason I didn’t like this episode very much.

• jake on June 19th, 2011 - 12:10pm

PEGGY which character do you like WHIT, CONNIE, or Eugene? my favorite characters is eugene because he is a very funny character.

thanks,

Jake

• Anna on July 30th, 2011 - 6:20pm

i really like this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!