Devotional: Square One

November 19th, 2010

After you’ve heard “Square One,” check out this devotional thought. (If you haven’t heard the episode, check out the Media Player. You can also find a station in your area.)

Baby

By Bethany Brown

When I was a baby, my dad used to like to toss me up in the air and then catch me. That sounds terrifying to me now, but my mom says that I loved it. I would scream and laugh and smile because I thought it was so much fun. I would beg him to throw me higher and higher. It was like a rubber band stretching farther and farther. How far could it go?

My dad was always gentle and sweet with me, and he took good care of me. So when he decided to try the crazy idea of tossing me up in the air, I guess I figured there was no reason not to trust him. On the other hand, if my dad had dropped me even once, it would have been like the rubber band snapped and I probably would never have wanted him to toss me again.

In “Square One,” it was easy for the club to trust Matthew right off the bat. He had never done anything to betray them and they thought he had good character. But after Matthew broke their trust, their trust in him was broken. His rubber band snapped. Not even gifts or acts of service would get him back in the club.

Friends often give you their trust very easily at first. If you prove unreliable and break that trust, it can be very hard to get it back. But the great thing is that trust is different than rubber bands in a very important way—trust can be mended. It can take time, but with God’s help, we can show our friends that we are sorry for our mistakes and that we will try harder to be trustworthy next time.

It may take time, as Matthew learned. But earning a friend’s trust is worth the effort.

Have you ever broken a promise? Has someone ever broken your trust? Share your stories on the blog.

92 Comments on “Devotional: Square One”

• Aio listener on November 20th, 2010 - 12:30pm

Square One was very good! A little fast paced, but still a good lesson. I really liked this episode cause I, like Matthew, love taking things apart and fixing stuff.
    I love all the new characters, the Parkers and the Jones, and do not have anything negative to say about the new episodes. I love all the humor, it’s awesome! There’s no such thing as too much laughter.
    Keep it all coming. Kathy Buchanann(is that how you spell it?), you are a fantastic writer.
    Go, AIO!!!

• Phoebe on November 20th, 2010 - 2:19pm

ONCE I TRUSTED MY FRIEND MY WEBKINZ PASSWORD AND SHE Stull my special item this item you cant buy.she sent it to her self.i changed my password and bout a new one;i did not trust her how could i? but she did not tell me the truth.
    i forgave her though.

• lady eowyn on November 20th, 2010 - 3:00pm

Man, this episode is really good. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It has a bit of the old tang to it, and the music and lines are good. I have to say, Emily got what was coming to her! Serves her right for not trusting Matthew’s judgment, and for blackmailing and manipulating him. I think Ryan, Pete, and Nelson were right in doing what they did, and so was Matthew’s response to what Emily was doing to him.
    Lady Eowyn

• ashlyn on November 20th, 2010 - 3:42pm

this is so true. This is my favorite stories of all times! Matthew did a grate job! I learnd a lot in this storie good job!

• katherine on November 20th, 2010 - 3:45pm

I really liked this one! (Of course I really like all of them:) I liked it that Matthew wanted to earn the trust and not get it the cheap way:) Thank you AIO for all you do!

• Noah on November 20th, 2010 - 4:24pm

The baby is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!111

• Brttini on November 20th, 2010 - 4:54pm

Yeah I have been in the place where I didn’t think my friends trusted me. And I have also been that way with God i mean that I would be trusting God for a need and then it just feels like there’s absoleuly no hope. and to this very day God hasn’t answer a few prayers but i’m slowly learning that I need to trust God with my Problems

• e.c.l. on November 20th, 2010 - 4:57pm

wow1 i am the first one! i thought this was a great lesson when i listened to it!

• e.c.l. on November 20th, 2010 - 4:58pm

I can’t wait to see if odessey is still around when i have kids!i hope it is!

• Odysseyfan#1 on November 20th, 2010 - 7:25pm

I just bought 2 new odysseys on iTunes! That’s really nice having them available for download on itunes! I have bought 3 episodes so far, “The Devil Made me Do it”, “Clara”, and “Soaplessly Devoted”

• Giana on November 21st, 2010 - 10:23am

that baby is cute!

• Odysseyfan#1 on November 21st, 2010 - 12:25pm

Square One Review Part 1

Square One is your basic average episode, where something happens, (matthew joins a club), something else happens to mess up the first happening (Emily gets matthew banned from the club), and then they learn a lesson (Matthew learns trust is hard to be put back together after it’s broken). While following this basic formula, and though nothing super exciting happens in this episode, It is an excellent episode, and definitely worth giving a listen to…

• Odysseyfan#1 on November 21st, 2010 - 12:27pm

Square One Revie Part 2

After 2 disappointing episodes in a row (Opposite Day and The Owlnapping), this was a refreshing episode, and very enjoyable. It was a good subject to learn about (though there seem to be a lot of episodes with this theme), and I would give it a great rating! The only thing that would have made it better was if Pete wasn’t in it. However, the rest of the cast, christina Puccelli, Adam Wylie, Zach Callison, Georgina Cordova, did an excellent job…

• Odysseyfan#1 on November 21st, 2010 - 12:29pm

Square One Review Part 3

Enjoy this episode, and learn more about Matthew Parker! I thought Christina Puccelli did a good job, and i felt genuinely sorry for her, when she was telling matthew she had had friends abandon her. I found myself feeling bad for her, even though she isn’t real. This is a good episode, so definitely listen to it!

• Odysseyfan#1 on November 21st, 2010 - 12:32pm

Square one Pros & Cons

pros:

- Matthew Parker’s Acting

- the “4 steps to win them back”

- the fact that this episode was about taking stuff apart – i like to do that too

- Overall Writing

Cons:

- Pete’s Acting

• Abbie on November 21st, 2010 - 2:50pm

Square One was interesting…. Good message- but, when did Matthew get all technical? All of a sudden he seemed.. Well…. smarter. Lol, i liked Pete’s password. I’m learning Latin right now, and it’s fun to try and translate it. It’s just annoying when they keep saying- Turbo X 300 laser pin ball machine. I wish that they would add something about Jesus, that way it would feel like old Odyssey. Although, keep making Odyssey!!!!

• anna on November 21st, 2010 - 8:46pm

I really enjoyed this episode. I liked how much Emily cared for Matthew in this episode. I know if my friends joined a secret club, I would investigate to make sure they were safe.
    -Anna

• Yhomas on November 21st, 2010 - 10:09pm

I’m the first to comment! I think.
    I’ve seen people throw baby’s in the air I would never do it to my children AH!

• kid on November 21st, 2010 - 11:27pm

high voice new whit is so unwhit sorry andre (no meannis to AIO but I think whit should have died it would make a great lesson

• Thomas on November 22nd, 2010 - 11:05am

I think l am the first to comment YAY!

• HUGE FAN on November 22nd, 2010 - 11:19am

Square One is really cool.

• HUGE FAN on November 22nd, 2010 - 11:21am

Square One is sweet.

• Brittini on November 22nd, 2010 - 12:51pm

Hey I don’t think they are reading these Comments they aren’t appearing LOL

• Colson on November 22nd, 2010 - 3:29pm

Yah,your right one time my best friend and I once had a really big fight and we didn’t talk for like 2 months but we made up and regained each others trust. :-)

• Marshall on November 22nd, 2010 - 4:13pm

Who’s that baby and what’s its name?
    Marshall

• Marshall on November 22nd, 2010 - 4:15pm

bla bla bla. hahhah

• LINDSEY on November 22nd, 2010 - 4:33pm

please post some more free odysseys i like to listen to them when i clean and when-ever.there great and i need more then one a day! post more (please :))

• big fan! on November 22nd, 2010 - 4:35pm

YEAH, POST MORE ODYSSEY SHOWS!!

• big fan! on November 22nd, 2010 - 4:38pm

GREAT NAME “BIG FAN” I’M GOING TO COPY YOU ;) go odyssey P.S. i agree post more shows!

• Odysseylover on November 23rd, 2010 - 11:08am

square one was pretty cool about secrets and trust emily shouldnt have done that to matthew and matthew shoulndnt have told his secret either im glad matthew got trust back from the club and emily said sorry

• cAITIE on November 23rd, 2010 - 11:33am

im i the first comment? Awesome! THis was cool!

• madison on November 23rd, 2010 - 11:33am

My X-BFF broke my trust One day I saw her looking at one of my video games and didn’t think about it again. The next week we were at church club and she asked me to get her work book. I looked in the pocket and guess what I saw, My game I knew that she did not have the game plus it even had the star to identify it when my cousin came down! She saw my looking at it and took it asked if she could use the bathroom and I never saw her again. She went out the window. The rubber band snapped.

• Lana on November 23rd, 2010 - 4:48pm

I enjoyed listening to Adventures in Odyssey last Saturday;
    It taught me the values of having a true friend and what happens when u break a promise. P.S. Will there be more Adventures in Odyssey episodes with Connie falling in love?

• hannah on November 23rd, 2010 - 9:53pm

I really enjoyed the episode, “Square One!” It was very good. :)
    Thank you so much A.I.O ! God Bless!
    Ps. Happy Thanksgiving!

• fumiko on November 23rd, 2010 - 10:40pm

A very true devotional, Trust is like a rubber band in many ways, Good metaphor. In keeping trust one of the most important things is to always tell the truth straight off in all circumstances, Lying can be like a broken rubber band too.

• kenzie on November 24th, 2010 - 10:08am

I think Adventure and Odyssey is a great progrem.It teachs great lessons and it is fun to listen to.Listening to Adventure and Odyssey has made me realize what I shouldent do.Thanks Connie,Whit,Eugene and all other people who provide Adventure and Odyssey for us.

• Janessa on November 24th, 2010 - 4:33pm

I loved this episode. It’s very well written. I researched Pete’s Latin password and it means: “people who somewhere construct”.

• Barbie on November 25th, 2010 - 11:04am

Good episode! But, @Kid- No, i don’t agree that Whit should have died, then there wouldn’t be any Adventures in Odyssey without John Avery Whittaker; even though he doesn’t sound the same at least he’s there!!
    @odysseyfan#1- how come you didn’t like Owlnapping? I thought it was a very decent episode.
    @Colson- that’s almost exactly what happened to me except for it wasn’t 2 months. More like 2 weeks…..but, it was hard.Even though we gained back our trust!! :)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING,
    ~Alina~

• Erin on November 25th, 2010 - 12:30pm

She (Bethany)is exactly right. Trust is very important,and easy to break.Once you break it its not easy to get back.

• Erin on November 25th, 2010 - 12:42pm

What does bla bla bla mean Marshall?

• wootenrocks on November 26th, 2010 - 12:03pm

hey!this was actually a good episode. i knew a girl that stole from me and i really didn’t like it. i never trusted her again. square one was a nice episode and it felt like an older one and i liked the idea of a clubhouse in a junk yard and having to keep it a secret. also, i think all the characters are getting into odyssey and now since we made the long climb up we can appreciate the great episodes yet to come! (Chris in the beginning of a blaggard episode.) :)

• wootenrocks on November 26th, 2010 - 12:05pm

what happened to Wooten Connie and Eugene?

• Stevie on November 26th, 2010 - 11:19pm

Isn’t that cool, I was going to post what the phrase ment but you beat me to it. :D My school makes us take Latin and I’m in my third year of it. I can actually read a book that is in Latin.
    Stevie

• Sydni on November 27th, 2010 - 12:35pm

I loved this episode!!!!!

• SARAH on November 27th, 2010 - 5:47pm

i have been in the place where I didnt think my friends trusted me and i didnt trust my friends.Its really hard when you cant trust your friends because then you cant talk to them about your problems.I really liked this episode.I agree with Janessa it is very well written.

• SARAH on November 27th, 2010 - 5:49pm

How would Whit dying made a good lesson? That would be absoultly horrible!!

• An A.I.O fan on November 27th, 2010 - 10:41pm

I loved this episode!It was prob’ly my favorite so far on album 52.I also found myself feeling sorry for Emily, even though she was wrong.Matthew treated her like she was a little kid.Does anyone know who’s older?

• yO I LUV AIo on November 27th, 2010 - 10:59pm

This is a great episode! AIO is sooooo AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mael on November 28th, 2010 - 7:05pm

Very nice. I love little machanical things.

• Stevie on November 29th, 2010 - 7:24am

Kid,
    Think about it you would be devestated if Whit died. At least they have someone to do his voice. HE is getting better though.
    Stevie

• Kaytee on November 29th, 2010 - 8:40pm

I liked this episodes. I have probably heard every episode made because we have all the old tape series as well. I have older brothers that have listened to them and I love AIO.Though, the new Whits voice is really not my fave. Its to squeaky. What happened to the other one? Like there was the guy that came after the first whit died….then this one. Anyways I LOVE and adore AIO and hope it never ends. But, if it started going all weird and lame, then it should end. But anyways, Goodnight world!

• deanna on November 30th, 2010 - 10:44am

Great episode:)

• lady eowyn on November 30th, 2010 - 8:51pm

Whit die? That would be a strange twist to the plot. But he’s like one of the pillar characters. If they took him away, there’d be no more Whit’s End. How would Odyssey be without Whit’s End? Let your mind dwell on that awful prospect for a moment!
    Lady Eowyn

• loryn on December 3rd, 2010 - 9:28am

Kid, no offence, That is a horrible idea! It wouldnt be the same without him! Who would help all the kids solve their problems?! Creators of AIO: Please do not listen to Kid’s suggestion! It is alot better to have a squeeky voice whit than no whit at all!

• Mandie on December 3rd, 2010 - 1:34pm

The Baby Is Adorable!!!!! I Like Square One. I’m Like Matthew; I Love 2 Take Things Apart; And Put Them Back Together; And That Chick Who Rote It Did A Good Job!!!!
    I’ve Been Listening 2 AIO For Like 8 Years; And It Never Gets Old.. I Like Listening 2 AIO On The Radio; Then Coming Here And Listening 2 It Again.And Again.And Again. I Absolutely <3<3<3<3<3<3<3Mandie

• hannah on December 5th, 2010 - 10:04am

the baby in the picture is like my little sister, my little sis is smiling all the time she can walk too, she always wants me to play with her!!!……she is almost a year old . . hannah.

• hannah on December 5th, 2010 - 10:11am

when i was little my dad would throw me up in the air and to this day i am not heavy to throw in the air!

• missy on December 5th, 2010 - 10:26am

each summer at the circus i have been asked to do hose stunts……….. i know some of you think i might be crazy but i think it’s fun. i love costumes they give me to wear the slippers i wear are nice and soft, and when i am not doing horse stunts i get to be thrown in the air by my partner Josh. .MISSY.

• missy on December 5th, 2010 - 10:33am

HEY KID THAT IS A BAD IDEA!!!!! I AGREE WITH LORYN!!

• HOPE on December 5th, 2010 - 10:37am

MY NAME IS NOT MISSY AND I DO AGREE LORYN SORRY MISSY FOR COPING YOUR NAME.

• Hannah K. on December 6th, 2010 - 4:26pm

HI Hannah! My name is Hannah too! I have a little sister, and she will be 1 in February. She smiles a lot as well! :) Do you have any other siblings? I have 5!

• l.y.h on December 10th, 2010 - 6:30pm

I am disapointed with the new odysseyes MR.Whitaker is not like he was and Wooten is not in it much and Connie is not funny. Also,they took out all the old characterers and they don’t mention God much.

• Austin on December 11th, 2010 - 8:38am

When I was in 6th grade, I had a huge crush on a girl. I told my “friend” about it. He promised not to tell anyone, but he ended up telling so many people. I forgave him, but to this day I can still not trust him with anything. That’s what happened to me. Now lets talk about the episode. I think it was a great episode. Pete’s acting could use a little work. However, over all there was great acting, great storyline, great sound effects, and great overall execution. (to be continued)

• Austin on December 11th, 2010 - 8:41am

• Austin on December 11th, 2010 - 8:44am

Sorry the one I just posted with the link goes to first love. To listen to the episode, click on the link, hit the 3 button at the bottom of the page, and hist “square one”

• Callie on December 11th, 2010 - 2:21pm

cute baby pic

• louse lamor on December 14th, 2010 - 8:19am

I love sam .and I would love to come.

• mat on December 14th, 2010 - 8:49am

bigfan.//////////

• uriah on December 15th, 2010 - 5:31am

i love that baby .he is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute.i wish i had a baby.i love the store back to bethluhamh….

• christy on January 12th, 2011 - 7:26pm

This is an awesome one ;D

• FAN102 on January 20th, 2011 - 8:39am

That baby is really cute it is I am a girl just so you know

• WarriorOfNar on January 20th, 2011 - 8:40am

fan102 I have to say that that baby is not cute at all

• Stevie on January 21st, 2011 - 7:49pm

okay W.O.N. Why on earth did you say that to her! It is adorable! I am with you fan102!

• lady eowyn on January 22nd, 2011 - 1:07pm

It looks like a normal baby. Why do people think it’s cute? I’ve seen cute babies before, and that one is certainly not. I wonder whether it’s a boy or girl.
    Lady Eowyn

• lady eowyn on January 24th, 2011 - 7:55pm

Maybe WoN says that because he’s a boy, Stevie. Boys have tastes that differ from girls’. I agree with him, that baby is not cute at all. NOT IN THE LEAST!!!
    Lady Eowyn

• ethan on January 24th, 2011 - 10:53pm

I love $money

• Stevie on January 24th, 2011 - 11:14pm

I have five younger siblings, seven younger cousins, and thirteen close family friends(who had baby siblings) So I guess I just usually think ahh what a cute baby! :D
    ~Stevie

• jarodman1 on January 25th, 2011 - 6:55pm

I think that Rodney wrath-bone should have a sister so they can be the grapes of wrath like on veggie tales.

• Stevie on February 1st, 2011 - 7:49am

So Eowyn do YOU have any younger siblings?

• lady eowyn on February 1st, 2011 - 9:33am

I have three younger siblings, all of which look like perfect angels but are holy terrors for mischief! I’m not to fond of little kids, though. I like the really little baby stage, but once they start walking, I’m running for the exit. But my mom makes up for that. She ADORES little kids of any age.
    Lady Eowyn

• Peggy on February 11th, 2011 - 5:34pm

I liked this episode though I thought Emily was being too pushy…I think Matthew is truly understanding what Whit says. I miss the old characters, especially the DeWhites, because the majority of the new characters don’t seem to be much like Christians in the episodes.

• unknown on March 6th, 2011 - 2:56pm

I think Emily is soooo pushy, mean, and really, i wouldn’t EVER trust her! My brother is a big fan of Matthew but he doesn’t really like Emily. Same with me.

• Libby on April 1st, 2011 - 9:42pm

I have many times broken a promise and earned it back, but I know someone that has never broken His promise to us. That’s Jesus. He has promised to come back and take us home with Him. I can’t wait!

love Libby age 11.
    P.S. I love Adventures in Odyssey!!!

• Riddermark on June 22nd, 2011 - 8:20am

cool :)

• emilyisfine on September 12th, 2011 - 9:39am

UNKNOWN I do not agree sometimes things can come out the wrong way.She was trying to help.

• jesus on September 22nd, 2011 - 11:10pm

nice!

• jesus on September 22nd, 2011 - 11:11pm

ssssssdsssssooooooooooooo cccccccccuuuuuuuuttttttttteeeeeeeee!!!!!~!!

• penny on March 24th, 2012 - 4:50pm

no offense to anyone but, i hated sqare one. it wuz boring!!!!!!! i liked the lesson, but the episode itself wuz terrible.

• mEGHAN on November 18th, 2012 - 2:19pm

So cool, this is so awesome i love it.

• feet on November 18th, 2012 - 2:21pm

I think this is so cool.

• go arkansas on December 4th, 2012 - 8:50pm

sorry kid aio would die without whit! Andre does the better than nothing

• sam sparks on October 14th, 2013 - 6:20pm

:) cute baby- who is it?