Devotional: The Owlnapping

November 13th, 2010

After you’ve heard “The Owlnapping,” check out this devotional thought. (If you haven’t heard the episode, check out the Media Player. You can also find a station in your area.)

Owls

By Bethany Brown

It seems pretty silly to think that a stuffed owl can win a basketball game. The team in the “The Owlnapping” made mistakes in understanding what the owl symbol meant, but they’re not alone when it comes to misunderstanding.

In Acts 14, Paul and Barnabas were preaching in a city named Lystra when they saw a man who was crippled. God gave Paul the power to heal the man so that he could stand up and walk. This act should have pointed the people to God’s power, since He healed the man.

Unfortunately, the people of Lystra didn’t understand what they saw. Instead of worshiping God, they worshipped Paul and Barnabas! They called the two men gods and wanting to offer sacrifices to them. When Paul and Barnabas realized what was happening, they shouted, “Men, why are you doing this? We are only human like you!” Paul and Barnabus didn’t take the credit, but they tried to point the people back to God.

In the same way, Ryan tried to get his team to understand that the owl didn’t make them win. But like the people of Lystra, the players had a hard time listening. They thought that their talent and ability to play somehow came from a stuffed owl. They didn’t think about who really gave them their basketball skills.

When we think of our talents and abilities in sports, in school, or in creativity, we should remember who gave us those gifts. Our gifts come our wonderful Creator, who gives us more than we can ever deserve or imagine.

Have you ever been in a situation like the basketball team? Do you play on a team with a mascot? Let us know in the comments below.

32 Comments on “Devotional: The Owlnapping”

• Odyssyfan#2 on November 19th, 2010 - 5:59pm

I thought it was an excelent episode about not taking something that makes you feel good and make it a god. Good work Odessey!!!

• Vica on November 19th, 2010 - 7:43pm

I LOVE OWLNAPPING IT IS SO GOOD I HAVE THE CD ,GO FOR MORE NEW CD’S I CAN’T WAIT FOR NUMBER 54 GO FOR IT

YOUR NUMBER 1 FAN

• Laura on November 20th, 2010 - 10:29am

Nice devotional :) I’m on a basket ball team by the way. our maskot is the hawk but we don’t have a stufffed animal. But my team does wear lime green shoelaces as a “tradition.”

• e.c.l. on November 20th, 2010 - 4:59pm

this was i great story:)

• zack on November 20th, 2010 - 5:13pm

I really liked this episode. I also liked the karate kid wax on wax off thing.

• HUGE FAN on November 22nd, 2010 - 11:26am

The Owlnapping is a real,mystery and cool.

• ODYSSEYLOVER on November 22nd, 2010 - 4:18pm

Owlnapping was kind of different from other odyssey episodes its not my favorite though but it teaches good lessons about trusting in really dumb things like a purple talking owl
    i think andre stocktja did the voice of the mascot at the end cause he played owl on winnie the pooh

• hannah on November 22nd, 2010 - 10:56pm

that is so cool i do not play on a team with a mascot but our town does were the bears

• anna on November 23rd, 2010 - 6:23pm

I have not been in a team with a mascot. The true reason I am commenting is because I want to know when the next video podcast is going to take place. I like those! :-)

• Barbie on November 25th, 2010 - 10:54am

I loved this episode! Our school has a mascot and it’s the Wildcat. I used to be on the basketball team in 6th grade, but now it’s just ridiculous and i can’t play cuz of my parents and stuff. But, oh well!

• Erin on November 25th, 2010 - 2:33pm

It was a great story and i like the moral.

• Brittini on November 26th, 2010 - 8:46pm

I really liked thia ep. it took me several times to listen to it before I finally said I liked it!! 4/5 stars

• Sydni on November 27th, 2010 - 12:45pm

I really liked this episode.We dont have a mascot in our town but we have a lot of teams.

• Stevie on November 27th, 2010 - 8:25pm

I am on the girl’s varsity volleyball and basketball team and soccer team. I love our team! :D We do not believe in our mascot making us win or loose. We are a christian school team, and we have won every game and are heading to the tournament YIPEE! :D
    Stevie who is a basketbal/soccer/volleyball player

• Mael on November 28th, 2010 - 11:46am

I really liked this one! Ryan Cummings is one of my favorites, besides Connie and Wooten. Although itching powder would have been unusual.

• Mael on November 28th, 2010 - 7:07pm

Great! Owl hairdo weird!

• taliax177 on November 29th, 2010 - 9:39am

We went to my cousins for thanksgiving. Us kids played a game during dinner where we went around the table. the first person named something starting with “A” to be thankful for. the next person B, than C, etc.!

• rosalin on November 29th, 2010 - 9:42am

Princess Ba Ba and goo goo pies?

• mael on November 29th, 2010 - 9:44am

Owl hairdo? Weird.

• mael on November 29th, 2010 - 9:45am

How did that third comment of mine get in?

• deanna on November 30th, 2010 - 11:17am

This was one of the most exciting episodes :)

• Aria CleVER on December 2nd, 2010 - 10:45am

i don’t belive in luck or bad luck but is bad to totally love mermaids and fairies?

• ABi on December 3rd, 2010 - 11:49am

is there a way i can listen to episodes without waiting for them to show up on the radio? I want to hear Coming of Age, but i dont have the CD. This is a great episode by the way.

• Hannah K. on December 3rd, 2010 - 4:56pm

Hi ABI! You can listen to an episode without waiting to hear it on the radio. Here’s how you do it: Go to the home page and at the top, click on Cd’s, DVD’s and more. Once you’ve clicked on that, click on Audio Series. And click on the album that Coming Of Age is in. (I believe it’s, “Its Another Fine Day”) All the episodes of that album should be on that page, including, Coming Of Age. I hope this works! :)
    Hannah

• Hannah K. on December 3rd, 2010 - 5:09pm

Its me again! I forgot to tell you how to listen to the episode! If the episodes in “Its Another Fine Day” are not on the page, click on the title of the album again and it should take you to CBD’s website. There, all the episodes should be listed in “Its Another Fine Day.” Coming of Age should be listed. Then click buy download by the episode that you want to buy. It costs $1.99 to download though. But once its downloaded, then you can listen to it!

• loryn on December 3rd, 2010 - 9:27pm

Aria Clever: do you really beleive in mermaids and fairy’s?

• Peggy on January 27th, 2011 - 7:15pm

Our team’s mascot is the Panthers. We actually have a fifteen-inch stuffed panther in the trophy case! I liked learning Odyssey’s mascot!

• Peggy on February 11th, 2011 - 5:39pm

I think an Owl is a very cool mascot for Odyssey. One problem though…the scores seemed really unrealistic for a middle school team, like 78-72. I just think it would have ended better if the moral didn’t come at the very end of the episode.

• Libby on April 1st, 2011 - 9:48pm

WOW! That’s sooooo true. I loved that devotional. That was so cool of that lady that came up with that to share that. I also really liked that episode. It was a good moral.

Libby :)

• starry sky on April 8th, 2011 - 10:02pm

Yeah it’s good.

• ThE BIG fan; on August 23rd, 2011 - 8:30am

Well i heard this one a while ago but just listened to the devotional. Im your biggest fan and my school mascot is a comet…. its a little strange but GO AMHERST COMETS!!! ;0 WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Owl lover on June 21st, 2012 - 12:40pm

What kind of owls are those?
    They look kinda like Northern Saw-whets, but I’m not sure, I’m 10% percent sure. Could someone tell me?